December 30, 2016

New Creations 2016: Everything I Made in 2016


For the past two years I have done a post compiling a list of everything I made over the past year, and here indeed, is the same post for 2016. Find the list for 2015 here, and 2014 here. It seems after last year's triumphant feat of 71 items sewn, 2016 just couldn't compete. I had a full time job (well nearly full time, just under if were going to be technical) for most of the year this go around, and therefore I just wasn't able to complete as much sewing as the year before.

Looking at this year's projects, I think I did well on my goal to make more dresses this year. The rest of my goals (make more historic costumes, learn tailoring, knit sweaters...) didn't quite pan out, but there's alwasy next year! I really do want to learn tailoring techniques and to knit well, so those are goals I will carry over into 2017.

Without further ado, here's the list!

Dresses:     (18)

Dark purple cotton sateen 1950s dress 
Basic Black polyester 1920s 1 hour dress
Fall leaf print rayon 1940s dress
Grey blue silk bridesmaids dress
Sequin spiderweb 1920s dress
Shades of green printed cotton sateen wiggle dress
Red linen/rayon 1930's wrap dress
Magnolia print rayon 1940s dress
Mini brown and white gingham dress
Grey and white gingham daisy 1950s dress
Brown twill dress
Lemon print cotton 1940's dress
Dark red cotton sateen wiggle dress
Medallion print 1920s 1 hour dress
Dream 1940s little black dress in rayon
Black 3/4 sleeved cotton sateen wiggle dress
Navy and red Agent Carter inspired dress
Black and gold atomic fleck wiggle dress

Skirts:     (9)

Black taffeta spiderweb flocked circle skirt
Fall leaves cotton circle skirt
Dark red cotton sateen pencil skirt
Red cotton sateen circle skirt
Black cotton sateen pencil skirt
Black cotton sateen circle skirt
Green cotton twill safari skirt
Red twill 1930's skirt
Teal linen/rayon blend 1930's skirt

Other:     (7)
Practice haori in black polyester (Men's style haori)
Color blocked cotton twill jacket
Edwardian cotton twill skirt and cotton shirtwaist
Novelty print cotton Star Wars blouse 
Tartan suit in blue and green wool

For a total number of pieces sewn of 34, except that I have also made 2 circle skirts that I gave away as gifts, so I actually sewed 36 garments this year! Still not too shabby, but I think next year I'll be focusing on quality over quantity even more, starting with improving the fit of my basic dress bodice pattern that I use for nearly everything. Looking at some of the dresses from this year I can definitely see the flaws in the fit, so fixing my patterns (and even making some new ones) is going to be my first order of business moving forward. There is always room to learn and improve!

How did you all do with your own sewing this year? Anything particular on your sewing list for 2017?


4 comments:

  1. My goodness, that's quite a list!! Very impressive. I didn't sew as much as I hoped but boy was it a steep learning curve... I will make some plans for 2017 soon!! Happy New Year!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Porcelina! I think you're doing quite well with your own sewing! And don't worry the learning never stops, I have so much still to learn about fit and tailoring!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I think that is a very impressive list for the year. Looking forward to seeing what you make this year. I'm hoping to do some sewing and much more knitting in 2017. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate-Em! I hope I can knit more too, though it will be years before I can reach your skill level!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...