Monday, October 31, 2016

Vamps & Flappers









What is the difference anyways? To me flapper seems to imply movement of some kind, like the ability to charleston, and since I don't dance I guess that makes me more of a vamp. Were vamps called so after vampires? One can only imagine that to be the case, and what an odd term to have come about.

I tend to fall back into 1920's looks for Halloween and this year was no exception. Also please forgive me for over using this local castle for outfit photos. You must understand there simply aren't many old or interesting buildings near by that I can utilize! As this castle/mansion happens to have been built (in part, some bits are older) in the 1920's it is actually quite a perfect setting for deco styles.

I teased this spider web patterned sequin net fabric earlier this fall back when I picked it up from Joanns. I didn't get much fabric, so in the end I threw together yet another 1 hour dress. I know, my goodness will she ever stop with the damn 1 hour dresses! (probably not honestly...). Once you try making one and understand just how easy they are to throw together I challenge you to make anything else when yardage is tight. I wore the very sheer dress over a black slip and added black back-seam tights and a men's style Japanese haori. I made the haori around a month ago just for fun to see how one would go together. This haori is done in the men's style, and I used measurements from real vintage haori I found online to get a feel for the proportions. As it was only a mock-up really I made it out of some polyester crepe, though I'd like one in either wool or velvet eventually. Or I may just cave and buy a real vintage men's haori...I can't be trusted on Etsy!

I hope you all have had a great Halloween! I hope to be less busy next year so I can celebrate more, instead of holing up in my sewing room like I have this year. Though I did manage to finish both of my spider web sewing projects before the 31st so I suppose all the sewing does pay off in the end <3

Dress & Haori: Made by me
Fur Collar: H&M
Slip & Dress Clips: Vintage
Tights: Hanes (Amazon)
Earrings: Charming Charlie

16 comments:

  1. What an absolutely stunning look! I love the silver spiderweb dress, and your hair and vampy makeup work perfectly with it. You're definitely projecting pretty Theda Bara vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vamps were more of a 1910's phenomenon - Theda Bara played 'The Vamp' in the 1915 film 'A Fool There Was' (the line's taken from Kipling's 'The Vampire') and the vamp became A Thing. Kipling's Vampire, and the vamps, weren't the bloodsucking sort, more merciless women who drain the vitality and resources of those around them.

    'Flapper' as a term also was around by the mid-1910s - the earliest film I've found with it in the title is 'The Flapper and the Fan' in the BFI collections - but it referred to a young girl. It acquired its connotations of fast living after the Great War but, like the vamp, really took off with a little help from Hollywood in the early 20s. (Colleen Moore in Flaming Youth was the first flapper superstar.)

    I love your outfit - proper vampy. Very Valeska Suratt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all super useful information! Thanks for clearing up that distinction, I never knew the details. I wish I knew more about old Hollywood and early film history, I'll have to find a good book or two on the subject :)

      Delete
  3. You're so glamorous, it's amazing :-) Love the dress and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Halloween outfit! It's glamorous and elegant, so very different from most Halloween choices! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate! Glam is always a good choice in my opinion ha!

      Delete
  5. Stunning Halloween ensemble! I just adore the spiderweb material you used for the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! It was so nice that Joanns did some actually useful Halloween fabrics this year :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, that fabric is sensational! I knew it was going to be good, but you have really brought out the vamp factor. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Porcelina! I ended up doing a really simple style as I hadn't bought much fabric, but it worked out in the end I suppose!

      Delete
  7. Great atmospheric photos. The spider web fabric looks super as a one hour dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My jaw is literally on the floor over this! It is too stunning for words!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Janey! Good fabric works wonders!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...