Thursday, June 30, 2016

Rains Down in Africa












As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti...I really like the song Africa by 80's band Toto, sorry not sorry. Though in reality, I imagine the open space here in Colorado is nothing like the grasslands in Africa, though one day I'd like to say I had seen both. Safari anyone?

I had made a skirt out of this same soft green twill last summer, but it had several problems. The waistband stretched out (I had forgotten to put twill tape in to avoid this), the hem was shorter than I would normally like, and the hem stitches were quite visible. I did try to save it by Frankenstein-ing it into something new, but that project ended up in the trash. Luckily Joanns still carries this very safari worthy twill, so I got some more and created this skirt instead. Instead of a full circle skirt like I had made last year, this new version is an A-line with some mustard colored top-stitching. I'd still like a twill circle skirt, but perhaps in a darker green color next time. I almost put pockets on this skirt, but I think I'll make another safari skirt with a button down center front and pockets later this summer. One can never have too much safari-ish clothing after all!

How about these shoes though?! They are the Gibson Edwardian heels from the ever amazing American Duchess in the color Tan/Brown, and let me tell you...I already want another pair in black! These are seriously sunning shoes, which is what I have come to expect from American Duchess products in general. The color is perfect, the pointed toe somehow doesn't make my (large) feet look gigantic, and the curved heels are so elegant! I bought them to wear with my currently-in-progress Edwardian adventuress costume, but I will certainly be wearing them with all kinds of other stuff too as I think they look great for later periods too. I wore this ensemble and the heels out shopping all afternoon and the shoes were super comfortable, only beginning to pink my toes a tiny bit after a few hours, and only because this was their first wearing! (I imagine the leather will form to my feet a bit more, solving this problem soon) I can't wait to get another pair of AD shoes, I am eyeing a pair of 18th century shoes next for my upcoming birthday :) I know I will be going a bit $crazy$ when the Royal Vintage shoe line comes out at the end of the summer/next fall too, I already want one of everything based on the teases Lauren has shared on social media <3

Till then I'll just be breaking in my lovely new Gibsons, and what a lovely task that is indeed :)

Blouse: Vintage/Thrifted
Skirt: Made by me
Shoes: American Duchess
Belt: Target
Earrings: Vintage

14 comments:

  1. Gonna take some time to do the things we've never had. :)

    Bonus: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/totos-africa-by-ernest-hemingway

    It's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

    -- Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes really are splendid - the perfect finishing touch to a lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am in love with these shoes now, super comfortable! I have my eye on the black for fall... :)

      Delete
  3. You always look so good in those 'safari' colours! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I do love me some muted safari colors <3

      Delete
  4. These photos are incredible! The mood is electric, wild, and mysterious and the skies are unforgettably alive with the pulse of a storm. I'm smitten and truly hope to encounter a similar looking landscape and blue-grey sky for a shoot of my own one day.

    So much love for your wonderful outfit, too. Green skirt + brown shoes = epic winner in my books.

    Tons of hugs & happy start of July wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I was afraid we were going to get rained on! We have pretty epic storms here in Colorado in the summer. Luckily the sky held off and we got to take these photos and go shopping at an outdoor mall afterwards without getting wet :)

      Delete
  5. I love these safari/military themed outfits of yours so much, this style suits you so well! The landscape behind you looks amazing also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rike! I'm glad people don't mind me posting safari outfits as I love wearing them <3 I am really lucky to live in Colorado too as it is so pretty for most of the year :)

      Delete
  6. I would definitely wear something like this if I went on Safari - oh and now the song is stuck in my head btw. I am a big fan of the vintage lady explorer look and this outfit wouldn't look out of place on Peggy Carter either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harlow! Peggy comparisons are high praise <3 I definitely intend on going on a real safari someday and dressing like its 1949 the whole time :)

      Delete
  7. Great background for this lovely outfit, it fits in so well. Very nice shoes indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...