November 29, 2018

DIOR From Paris To The World - Denver Art Museum


For a closet historian there are a few extant pieces of clothing that really exude an extra sort of magic, and one of them is certainly a "bar" suit from Dior's Spring 1947 "New Look" collection.

"Christian Dior, Bar suit. Afternoon ensemble in shantung and pleated wool, Haute Couture Spring-Summer 1947, Corolle line. Dior Héritage collection, Paris. ©Laziz Hamani."

I had never seen one in person before of course, until my recent visit to see the Dior, From Paris to the World exhibition now on view at the Denver Art Museum through March 3, 2019.

Such an iconic style, so evocative of it's era, so famed in the sphere of fashion, and it was presented front and center, the first dress form one encounters upon entering the exhibition. The other forms in that room were equally gorgeously attired in early Dior, all in black. I could have happily worn only the styles in that room for the rest of my 1940's-late midcentury loving days.

But there was more to see, including designs from the Galliano era that had truly inspired me to pursue fashion design myself when I first watched them march down the runway (well, via style.com videos) in my teens. It was very odd to stand in front of these particular ensembles, because they had been a part of my own visual history in some ways. I had seen them first as they debuted when my interest in high fashion was at its-- well, highest, and here they were in front of me in "the flesh" as it were. Pretty cool to see.

And of course anyone who loves fashion would jump at the chance to examine couture up close, even if one can only look and not touch. I leaned in close believe me, studying embellishments I had never seen in detail before. I was happy to see, for example, that the embroidery on the iconic chartreuse silk dress Nicole Kidman wore to the 1997 Oscars was indeed as fine as the examples on the antique Chinese robes that inspired it. The red equestrian jacket and veiled top hat from the Spring 2010 collection brought me right back into my memories of obsessing over that collection during my first year at university as a fashion student.

These are pieces the likes of which I will never even get to touch, let alone wear, but it was still very special for me to see them in person. Though I decided against entering the world of high fashion after university, I still appreciate the amazing artistry involved in creating couture. Sure the prices are insane, and the whole concept feels like a hanger on from a bygone era of excess, but the clothes, the pieces themselves are still artwork worthy of admiration. These ephemeral and often ethereal pieces are created by the most highly skilled seamstresses in the world, and it is difficult even in this hard world of 2018 to not appreciate the human craftsmanship that has gone into every seam.

So, though I expect with these many large images this post will take ages to load, I hope for some of you it is worth the wait to see how these gorgeous Dior creations look a bit closer up. Perhaps I will even make it back down to the museum again to admire it all in person once more in the spring. Do you enjoy seeing fashion exhibitions? What has been the best one you have visited?













































7 comments:

  1. I want the choker-collared, puffy sleeved, fuchsia and coral thing- and I don't even normally like puffy sleeves! Thanks for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like something an extra in Moulin Rouge should wear, perfectly extravagant ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to upload all these gorgeous photos to this post! For me seeing such iconic pieces feels like seeing the Pyramids(which I have so I think I can go with this bizarre analogy)you can't quite believe you're seeing them. They are both so familiar yet you've never actually seen them! When I worked in a local costume museum in the early 90's I got to handle and catalogue and put on display such joys as Lucille, Chanel, Vionnet, Worth and Callot Seours to name a few. It's still one of my best experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds like fabulous fun Carol Ann! I loooved working in a costume collection while I was at university!

      Delete
  3. So lucky! the Dior exhibition starts in London on the day I'm due to give birth....I'll have to catch it some other time / place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different Dior exhibits going on right now! Hopefully one will still be traveling around when you will be able to visit! (and congratulations!)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! This exhibit is beyond dreamy! I am so jealous you got to see all of this in person!!!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...