September 10, 2018

Red Linen Rundown












I went to bed at 10:30 last night.

Okay, you're thinking, uh...that's not very exciting information, but let me tell you, I have not gone to bed that "early" in a long time. I usually go to bed (AKA stop editing/writing) at around 1:30am or thereabouts. Even then, I usually don't fall asleep for another hour...so, not great really. Last night I had a headache, I hadn't rested much for the past several days, my mind had been reeling all week with ideas for the book(s) I'm working on, and in general I just finally felt too rundown to do anything but just go to bed. Why is this so difficult for me to understand, that rest is important? I don't know, but clearly I don't seem to get it. Balance is not my forte. So I put Harry Potter on in the background and let myself go to bed "early", what a novel idea.

Something to work on certainly, but the work (editing/writing) is just so much fun, so engaging and all consuming that I simply don't want to do anything else. I don't want to go to bed, I want to keep working. Still, the work itself is probably better when I am well rested, so obviously I need to be more disciplined with myself!

Which has nothing to do with this red linen dress I wore recently, but eh, I'm distracted today. This dress can be a bit difficult to style because I feel like the wrap style, rougher texture of the linen, and tie belt all lend the dress a more casual feel and make it harder to style with the whole hats/gloves/heels deal. Usually I wear this dress with all ivory accessories, but I thought throwing in a little navy might work for a classic red,white, and blue combination. This milk glass necklace is always fun to wear because it is a real Miriam Haskel's piece and I picked it up for only $13 dollars which still gives me a thrill and seems ridiculous. Also, the lighting on this evening was really odd so these photos are super blurry/grainy, but I'm going to pretend I don't mind...mmkay?

I'm going to go and try and get a bunch done so that i can go to bed "early" again tonight ;) We shall see. For those of you who are like me, and don't rest nearly enough, take this as a message that you should yeah?


5 comments:

  1. Wow, you go to bed late! If I stay up past 11 I'm an absolute mess the next day (up at 6:20). Ah, the resilience of youth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no longer very resilient I promise, it catches up to me big time! I just have too much to do and sleeping is not a priority for me like it should be ;)

      Delete
  2. I remember staying up that late constantly! I sort of miss it some days, because I feel as though I got my best work done late in the night (or rather, early in the morning hours). But now I can barely stay up until 10pm. Probably something to do with having three kids, one of whom is only 10 weeks old. Maybe. Ha!

    This is such a pretty dress, but I definitely understand your styling predicament! I have a hard time styling wrap dresses regardless, because there's something about them that never quite seems right on me. My waist is too high for them, usually. You look lovely, though!
    xo
    Kristina
    eyreeffect.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina! I can imagine 3 kids can easily tire a gal out :) I definitely get a lot of my best work done late at night, which is why this year I learned to sit and write in our darkened basement with little light so that it FEELS like its 11pm even if I'm working from 3pm onward. I make fake nighttime, and it actually works pretty well ;)

      Delete
  3. Love this dress! Did you use a pattern or draft your own?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...