May 21, 2018

Garden of Blue and White











This is the first dress I have made this year! Wahoo! About time.

I was busy, and now that I'm forcing myself to do anything other than write (since writing has proven it can consume my brain whole this year), it honestly feels strange to be deciding on other tasks. For so many weeks the only option I had was to write, all day, for days on end. Now I can sew, or record a video, or even catch up on all the amazing TV people are always talking about that I have never seen. And even though spending time sewing means I get new dresses like this one, and I am loving Westworld season one so far, I do miss writing! I just have to figure out how to balance it with the rest of my life. For now I'm just jotting down ideas in between serging seams and hemming skirts, but the call to type doesn't seem to go away. I'm also using sewing as an escape from editing because I have to cut down the manuscript by 40,000 words. I know they say to kill your darlings and all, but I can't imagine cutting away a third of the book I just finished pouring my heart into. So procrastinating the editing means I dove headfirst into a rayon challis dress project Sunday afternoon instead of opening up the draft...If I am going to procrastinate, I might as well be productive!

Though I'll admit it, I did spend all of Saturday morning watching the royal wedding. As liberal as I am normally, the anglophile in me blinds my judgement when it comes to the British royal family. I blame all those fairy tale stories growing up. I still want to watch the glamorous actress marry the prince and ride through town in a carriage, sue me. As angry as people seem to get about the royal family being a stain and strain, the way two people look at one another when they are really in love is still inspiring. "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself." Also, from a fashion standpoint, the dress was stunning no? So classic and I love a bridal gown with real sleeves.

Still I shall resist the idea of making a white cotton sateen day dress with a nice bateau neckline and return to my floral challis dress project. Anything's better than having to cut a novella out of my novel-- even fighting a slip sliding battle with silky rayon.

Dress: Made by me
Shoes: Chelsea Crew (Royal Vintage Shoes)
Handbag & Gloves: Vintage
Fishnets & Belt: Amazon
Earrings: Forever 21
Petticoat: Malco Modes

13 comments:

  1. Oh, so pretty!

    Meghan really lucked out on the tiara front - that's one of the nicest in the vaults. (Poor old Sophie got the worst wedding tiara; it was cobbled together admittedly from historic pieces but it does look like Liz got out her glue gun and a box of bits to make it.) A bit part of me doesn't see the point in the royals, but our politicians are so awful I'd rather keep the monarchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! It does seem very odd to enjoy royal pageantry as a US citizen as well, seeing as my country literally said a rather violent "nope" to the whole thing back in the day, but I can't help it!

      Delete
  2. How clever you are not just in your dress-making but in your eye for what works on you.. This looks beautifully summery and works fabulously! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress and it fits you perfectly! Is that a Gertie fabric from last spring, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! This sateen is actually from Moodfabrics.com and is still available :)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous fabric choice, love it! You would have been a well-dressed wedding guest in that frock! I did come in from working in the garden to watch the ceremony, it was beautiful (and I had eyes on the 1930s' tiara like Mim!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Porcelina! Just needed to add a hat right? Sadly my invitation was lost in the mail it seems ;)

      Delete
  5. I adore these pictures! And that dress is marvelous! What a great print!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...super charming...cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...