Monday, March 6, 2017

A Black Bolero









So there are still a few details to smooth out (pun intended), but my bolero pattern is at least finally semi-working! Possibly TMI note to justify the sort of odd fit over the bust here, I was wearing a modern bra as opposed to a retro more bullet shaped one like I normally would, which is contributing to the slightly weird fit. Lucky it is an easy fix, wear the correct foundation garments! Duh

Besides that issue, I am super happy with this bolero, it is definitely the best fitting I have made yet! Made from the same black cotton sateen as my pencil and circle skirts it will match both, turning each into a suit of sorts which is awesome! I have a dress in this same fabric too that I could also wear this cropped jacket with, so I suppose it helps create all sorts of new outfits. For its first wearing I paired it with the pencil skirt and a simple black knit top, accented with white gloves and a simply awesome brooch from Summer Blue Jewelry that I got for Christmas this year. I love this brooch so much, and I can't believe I was able to find perfectly matching black and white striped earrings (vintage 80's ones) that I am not wearing in these photos but I promise exist. My hair was covering my ears so it didn't seem worth it! I finished the outfit with my black beret with the star embroidery I added back in 2015, tutorial here! I needed a snug hat as it was quite a windy day!

I am excited to keep working on perfecting this bolero pattern and make a few more in the future. This cotton sateen from Joanns is probably my favorite fabric from them and is so easy to work with that I am tempted to get some more in navy blue and make up another circle skirt and bolero as a set. I have enough fabric in my stach for now already though, so I better get back to sewing and use some of it up to make room for more! ;)

Skirt & Bolero: Made by me
Hat: Target (embellished by me)
Shirt: Banana Republic
Shoes: Royal Vintage Shoes
Tights: Amazon
Brooch: Summer Blue Jewelry
Gloves & Handbag: Vintage

8 comments:

  1. That's a cracking effort Bianca, the sleeves and curved front are so flattering on you. Worth all the trials and tribulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Porcelina! Next I'm going to try for a short/kimono sleeved version <3

      Delete
  2. Very natty! Black will always be a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and chic. You can never go wrong with black- and it sounds like this is going to be a very versatile item in your wardrobe!
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! I have a lot of black clothes...and I am working on a black wool pencil skirt this week too! Then I have even more black fabric in the sewing line up too, oops! ;)

      Delete
  4. Such a sophisticated look! Very feminine and elegant indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...