I recently noticed that somehow I had two plaid black beret hats in my closet. Seeing as I had no need for two plain black berets, I decided I would embellish one with some embroidery and sequins. This is a super easy DIY project that can really jazz up a regular beret!
I decided on a space/star field motif for the black beret, and conveniently I had some star shaped sequins at the ready!
-Sequins or beads (optional)
To make the larger stars I used a simple lazy daisy (chain) stitch in a set of four stitches for each star. For variation, I made smaller stars with the full thickness of embroidery floss (6 strands), then made the stretched out larger stars with half the thickness (3 strands). I used the same thread to attach the sequins, both in the centers of the stars and dotted in clusters of threes. I didn't plan where each star would go, I simply created them as I went along, filling in blank spaces until it seemed to look right. For the smallest of stitched stars I simply used two single stitches crossed with a third tiny stitch across the center of X to hold the star in place. The same lazy daisy stitch could be used with more "petals" for a daisy or flower motif as well.
I'm really happy with how this little embroidery project worked out! It was a nice break from the Outlander stomacher embroidery project which has been taking ages to finish. Little berets like this one are pretty inexpensive at Target, and a brighter colored beret with white daises would be so cute! I hope some of you give a similar project a try :)