September 18, 2015

New York Fashion Week Spring 2016


Ah New York fashion week, its that time of year again, the time of year when I find modern fashion increasingly disappointing...sadly. Each season it seems I find fewer and fewer things I like coming down designer's runways, albeit I am not exactly their intended clientele. I tend to preper fall fashion week to spring too, so that wasn't helping either. Still, I found a few looks that struck my fancy, so I thought I'd show them here like I usually do for those who don't want to wade through the many shows to find a bit of inspiration.


Oscar de la Renta may be gone, but his design line continues. Peter Coping does a great job sticking with the intentions of the house. These were my favorite three looks, all in black and red. The embellished red sweater is just beautiful, I'd like one in every color. Possibly DIY? The center black suit was decidedly vintage looking and I love the idea of a more formal black suit with beaded accents. The gown would be prettier in my eyes without the odd lace bib neckline, but as a strapless dress would be quite pretty.




I am not normally a big Marc Jaycobs fan, but in his americana-tastic show there were a few vintage inspired standouts. He obviously was drawing on the 30's and 40's for much of the collection which was a nice surprise. The striped dress looks like something from an early 30's magic show/circus and the fabric is really fun. The circle print chiffon gown too looks very 30's, lovely dropped waist. My favorite look was the red blouse with the navy high waisted pants, the most literal 40's look in the show.





Naeem Khan brought some femininity to the season with some truly fun and colorful dresses. I really liked the multicolored embroidery and more classic silhouettes. The neckline of the yellow gown looks sort of Egyptian and that dress would look so extra gorgeous on someone with a super dark skintone. The silver sequin jumpsuit (yes I noticed those were pants) would be better as a dress, but the pattern of embroidery is super gorgeous and very deco meets nouveau. The lavender gown is rather 18th century and caught my eye too.



Marchesa sent out more reliably feminine and beautifully constructed evening wear as usual. I particularity liked these three gowns, and the way they cut most of the sleeves this season with the sort of cape like back. The gold gown with the pastel flowers reminds me a bit of one of the gowns from episode II of Star Wars in a good way, I like this designer version better! (nerd)

That was it for New York though! Hopefully London, Milan, and Paris have more vintage-inspired collections. After the 70's mania of last year I hope we roll back a few more decades for this upcoming season! Did anyone else spot something they liked from New York Fashion Week?

7 comments:

  1. I keep wondering that, too. Will fashion look further back in any kind of serious way - and if so, how will it be interpreted - or are the 60s - 90s easier, so to speak, in terms of their mass appeal in relation to the ways in which many people dress nowadays. And if such is the case, will the more (generally speaking) elegant, formal, one might even say "put together" decades fail to see a serious mainstream revival again. Time will tell!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion moves too quickly now for dramatic change, or at least that's how it seems in the moment. The 40's had a bit of a moment five-ish years ago with multiple designers using the decade for reference. This past fall season was super 70's, even late 60's, inspired to the point of being quite literal. I can only hope that next season they (you know *they*, whoever that is) decides that the 50's are in again. It changes so quickly from season to season, otherwise how would they get people to buy new clothes :)

      Delete
  2. The second Marc Jacobs dress looks like Miss Hannigan from Annie or something. But that could be the messy moptop hairstyling.

    Some gorgeous stuff though!

    -- Tegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously messy mobtop hair-styling! But it's almost nice to see some art direction/anything interesting for hair and make-up instead of the usual slick hair and minimal make-up. I used to love when John Galliano was at Dior and the hair and make-up would be crazy over the top, it was fun!

      Delete
  3. The Naeem Khan yellow dress feels like 1920s Egyptology craze to me. I agree that the neckline is amazing. I'm a fan of red and black, but I feel like the appliquéd sweater would be fresher in more modern colors....Remember the gorgeous purple velvet dress with the green lace appliqué from British Sewing Bee season two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, living in the US I have never seen the British Sewing Bee! Is it like project runway? The only TV from the UK I get is Antiques Roadshow (3 or 4 seasons behind), and everything else I have to "find" online :)

      Delete
  4. I do like the red embellished jumper, I can image that you could turn your hand to a DIY version of that. I love looking at the designer collections and am enjoying the autumn winter looks that are coming through in magazines this month. I particularly like some of the Prada, Dior and Miu Miu looks, not that I could ever afford them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...