June 23, 2015

Nile Front Glamour













Okay so the Platte river is probably nothing like the Nile, but it is as close as I will get this summer! I wanted to show you guys my new hat that I finished making last week. I fell in love with the idea of an ivory linen boater with rusty brown trim and just had to create something to fit the bill. I added a bit of Italian millinery straw to the brim edge, layered petersham ribbons on the crown, and finished it all off with a small piece of rusty brown colored antique french veiling!

The little carved wood antelope brooch is a new addition, I think he is just too cute! I made this blouse weeks ago, but somehow it hadn't made it onto the blog yet. It is made of cotton batik, just like my fern print blouse. I really like the warm golden and brown colors of this leafy print! I borrowed my mom's ivory belt to tie the ivory of my hat into the look, and wore a pair of strappy ivory heels that don't often see the light of day. They are a bit too small and end up being crazy painful before long.

I think my intrepid photographer and I are heading up into the mountains tomorrow, so expect some photos from the Rockies later this week!

Top: Made by me
Skirt: Made by me
Hat: Made by me
Shoes: DSW (in like...2008?)
Belt: Borrowed from my Mom
Earrings: Made by me
Brooch: Etsy
Sunglasses: Forever21

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so impressed that you made that stunning hat yourself! I don't know anything about millinery, but it's a skill that must be so useful. If I could make myself pretty hats like this one!

    I really love how you teamed with with a 'safari' style outfit; it seems perfect for summer. :)

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonita! I really enjoy millinery, I was fortunate to take a few classes while I studied abroad in England my junior year of college. I'm going to try and do millinery tutorials on here eventually!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!!! What a lush, perfect landscape for this beautiful outfit. It's so impressive that you made your hat, blouse and skirt. I can't help but feel that our (frequently sewing inclined) foremothers would be so proud of you - I know that I certainly am!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Most of the time I don't really think about how much of my outfit I made myself until I am writing the captions for these posts! It is sorta crazy just how much of my wardrobe is "me made" at this point!

      Delete
  3. Great safari outfit and your hat is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...