June 28, 2015

Hat Histories: Elsa Schiaparelli


Today we admire the hats of designer Elsa Schiaparelli, a name best known for eccentric surrealist fashions today, but well known in the thirties for chic and modern clothing. Born in Italy, Schiaparelli eventually settled in Paris after spending time in New York. A friend of Paul Poiret and rival of Chanel, Schiaparelli started designing fashions with a line of knitwear in 1927. Her clients soon included heiress Daisy Fellows, actress Mae West, and semi-royal Wallis Simpson. Though she rose to the heights of fashion royalty in the 30's, Schiaparelli never recovered after the changes in fashion after WWII, closing her couture house in 1954.

Though best known for collaborating with surrealists like Salvador Dali, I personally favor her more wearable designs, like the beautiful hats below!

Summer 1940
Fall 1939
 This hat! Swoon! I love the large ivory Irises paired with the transparent black netting!

Fall 1939
 Gorgeous simplicity in ivory and rusty brown.

Fall 1939
 Fun silk flowers, flowers upon flowers! 

Summer 1935
 Such a great raspberry color, wear at a jaunty angle for instant 30's chic panache.

Summer 1940
 A hat I have tried to replicate! I attempted making a similar piece in the second round of my millinery course I took while studying in London, sadly I never finished the hat, having trouble stabilizing the brim. I'll show you guys the attempt someday :)

Summer 1940
 This hat is to die for! I love the natural looking flowers and leaves.

Fall 1939
 I will be making a berry-tastic hat like this one for fall, I just love it!

Summer 1940
1938
Isn't this last one fun? It reminds me of Blade Runner, pay attention during to the extras in the film and you will see some of them wear very similar hats.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. While I certainly admire her avant garde work and the lasting impact that it had on fashion, with few exceptions, I'd be way more inclined to wear her "milder" work as well.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I love all of these, especially the floral ones and the one with the autumn berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kate! I will be trying to make something similar this fall for sure!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...