November 7, 2014

Why Don't You...Watch This Documentary?


Between my computer being on the fritz, and a few other things in my life also being on the fritz, I was feeling pretty down earlier this week. I needed inspiration, someone to tell me I wasn't doing all this for nothing, that my voice meant something. Enter Diana Vreeland. Of course I had some knowledge of the former high priestess of fashion, but this documentary was exactly what I needed this week. An amazing woman, with an even more amazing life story. I was in dire need of some inspiration, and this film worked wonders! It's available now on Netflix instant watch.



“You gotta have style. It helps you get down the stairs. It helps you get up in the morning. It’s a way of life. Without it, you’re nobody. I’m not talking about lots of clothes.”

“I was always fascinated by the absurdities and luxuries and the snobbism of the world that fashion magazines showed. Of course, it’s not for everyone...But I lived in that world, not only during my years in the magazines business but for years before, because I was always of that world-- at least in my imagination.”

“I think part of my success as an editor came from never worrying about a fact, a cause, an atmosphere. It was me—projecting to the public. That was my job. I think I always had a perfectly clear view of what was possible for the public. Give ‘em what they never knew they wanted.”

“The first rule that a geisha is taught, at the age of nine, is to be charming to other women...Every girl in the world should have geisha training.”

“There’s only one very good life and that’s the life you know you want and you make it yourself”


1 comment:

  1. I watched this a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I don't agree with ever last thing Ms. V says in it (and she can be, IMO, a bit abrasive at times), overall I majorly enjoyed and learned a lot from it (in terms of Netflix ratings, I gave it a 4 out of 5 - you?).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...