September 21, 2017

Morning in Montmartre















Perhaps the party had indeed run a bit long they thought, finally wandering back out onto the streets bathed in clear crisp morning light. The early risers already loitering looked upon their eveningwear with warranted suspicion, no doubt picturing a night of absinthe fueled debauchery that couldn't have been farther from the truth. Discussion was the activity, fervent debates over the merits of art, of abstraction, or the modern validity of operetta. The bakers and parishioners of the morning light couldn't understand. Sacre-Coeur loomed, seeming to pass the largest judgement of all. Velvet in the morning, metallic shoes teetering on cobblestones, and a headache only a long nap would resolve. 

Vague nostalgic musing on Montmartre in the twenties, but who now could say what it was really like then?  Here are the very last photos from my trip to Paris in the spring. I had been saving them for a more velvet appropriate season, and as fall is approaching it finally seemed I may be in the clear to share them. I made this dress especially to wear in Paris, one simply must have fun with 1920s looks in Paris after all.

The dress is another 1 hour, of course, as is my custom! I really need to branch out, but this most simple of deco shapes is just so easy to create. The subtle Celtic patterned rings were embossed into the velvet using a hot iron, a spray bottle of water, and a carved wooden stamp I found at Michaels crafts store. Hemming velvet like this is super irritating, so I cheated and used a length of metallic ribbon at the hem since the dress was pretty medieval inspired already. I used the left over bits of velvet to try and make a wrap/jacket over blouse thing, the geometric pattern of which was very inspired by Japanese haori, but I wasn't perfectly happy with how that came out as I didn't have enough fabric to make the sleeves wide enough for a true haori look. As for accessorizing, I couldn't bring too many pairs of shoes with me to Paris so I just have my old beaten-up t-straps in gold and black, and then I wore a long gold and black beaded necklace to match. I purchased the tiny golden handbag (more akin to a piece of jewelry than a purse really) just  to go with this dress, and it's too small for anything besides a lipstick and an ID/credit card for perhaps a cell phone free night out. 

I'm sure I looked a bit out of place amongst the other tourists, but I didn't mind. It was a chilly morning so we stopped for a warm crepe with nuttella before heading back down from Montmartre back into the heart of Paris for a museum visit and then yet another trip to Laduree for tea. It was our last full day in Paris, and we hopped all over the city before ending the night with a touristy river cruise to see Paris lit up at night. So dreamy right? Anyone want to pay for me to fly back to Europe again is welcome to get in touch ;)

Dress & cardigan(?), Necklace & Earrings: Made by me
Shoes: Urban Outfitters (over a decade ago...)
Handbag: Vintage


16 comments:

  1. These photos and your dress are stunning!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have truly outdone yourself! Luuuuuuurve it! I would be great if you would do a post on the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! I'll see if I can find a scrap of the velvet and put one together!

      Delete
  3. I have never thought of embossing velvet before! This is absolutely stunning- that shade of green, the ribbon trim, the cape/cardigan. . . basically everything :)
    Also, I wonder, if you had a velvet dress that got crushed, if you could emboss it to cover it up and save it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! I imagine one could do that, as embossing like this really is just crushing the velvet in a pattern that is nice instead of by accident ;)

      Delete
  4. Ah velvet season is upon us! You are utterly divine in every way. Would love to see more close-up of the dress some time.

    In response to another commenter's query about velvet rescue, I have just been steaming some velvet trousers that were crushed from storage - steam magically restored them!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Porcelina! Steam is magic, I need a new steamer <3

      Delete
  5. Oh what utter gorgeousness - these photos were well with waiting for. Now we have to wait for your next holiday to a great city... You look stunning in the colour and velvet seems just made for you. And battered shoes? I think they look fabulous - and what a great match with your seams! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully it won't be too long before I venture to another great old city, but I've got nothing planned yet...Lodnon next I hope!

      Delete
  6. Love this look! Velvet is so glamorous. Love the photos, great setting for that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This ensemble is gorgeous! And you're wearing it in my favorite city in the world! Where else did you visit? Do you have your other outfits you wore in Paris posted somewhere? I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All of the outfits I wore on this trip are up here on the blog, if you hit the word travel in the tags over on the right side of the blog all of my posts from France will come up :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...