August 1, 2019

The Kirkland Museum's New Home















If you love 20th century decorative arts, there is one museum here in Denver that just cannot be missed. The Kirkland Museum of Decorative Arts is now just across the street from the Denver Art Museum. They literally moved it, the building itself. Wait, what?

The museum is based around the former studio of Denver artist Vance Kirkland, and his studio indeed used to be several blocks away from where it is now. They lifted the building from it's foundation and wheeled it down to a new location! Now that is dedication. The new location next to Denver's other major art museums does make sense for visitor traffic, but what an undertaking?! Since the museum had been closed for a few year for the move and renovations, my mom and I recently decided to finally stop into downtown to check out the Kirkland's new space.

Luckily the new digs mean the large collection is allowed to breath a bit more and the extra space certainly makes it easier to study the thousands of gorgeous examples of antique and vintage design. Ranging from Art Nouveau to 1960's Mod, the collection ticks all of the boxes for a muti era loving vintage gal like me. 1920's glassware? 1950's furniture? Frank Lloyd Wright anything??? Yes please.

And the Denver Art Museum just so happened to have a midcentury modern exhibition on as well! It all made for a lovely day out, I highly recommend it :)

I wore my green print cotton sateen dress for the day of museum visits. The yellow facade of the new museum building is quite striking no?





Dress: Made by me
Shoes: Royal Vintage
Handbag, Belt, & Jewelry: Vintage
Sunglasses: TJ Maxx 


4 comments:

  1. What a glorious dress - not only in its own right, but for this particular venue! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that looks wonderful. I love decorative arts museums - there's something about the way the objects they showed can be so universal in terms of time and place (what's more global and timeless than a bowl?) and yet styled to have come only from one possible time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, some of my dream items are on display here! I would probably leave in handcuffs for trying to steal stuff!

    Also, you look amazing! That color scheme is great!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...