November 12, 2018

Cranberry Stripes












When I spotted this cranberry 1940's jacket on Fab Gabs a few years ago, I fell in love. Now of course I realize this style is not actually the best on my frame. The jacket is a bit long on me, I'm only five foot five after all, but the heart wants what it wants and sometimes the heart wants a beautiful 1940's jacket.

Fortunately, this skirt from my Lilli Ann suit (yes, the same one I was wearing in last week's post) is also quite long, so we can just pretend that I am a long lean forties femme fatale. Well actually this ensemble would be a bit too colorful for a femme fatale wouldn't it? I do enjoy color blocking, but had oddly never paired these two pieces together before. I pulled out my striped corde clutch and velvet ribbon multicolored hat for a fully vintage outfit from head to t-- oh wait...these are reproduction shoes! The red Marilyn's from Royal Vintage shoes of course. This style will forever be the classic pump I wish was available in every color of the rainbow. Or at least dark navy blue, but I always say that don't I?

As usual I have been hard at work and yet feel like I haven't gotten any work done. There is a personal deadline of mine that keeps getting moved, and it makes me feel like I am failing. I am not failing, because in order to fail you see-- you first have to try, and I keep having to push back the day where I truly begin trying. I just need so many ducks in a row before I can begin, and every duck must be perfectly preened, every feather just so, and every time I am about to begin it seems they have added another duck to the list of ones I need...and this duck metaphor really isn't serving me as well as I had hoped, but you get the idea. I live in fear that one typo, one silly formatting mistake will ruin my entire career before it even begins.

Fear, what a funny thing. I could keep preening my ducks forever and never send them out into the wild. At some point, even if I am left with all the ruffled feathers, these birds gotta fly whether I'm ready or not. When is anything ever truly ready? When can anything ever truly be perfect? Alas my brain knows perfection is impossible, it's just too bad my heart calls out on repeat "one more edit", "one more edit", "one more edit, then surely we'll be ready."

 If you need me, I'll be stuck running around the coop still chasing after my stupid fecking ducks.

Suit Jacket: Fab Gabs (Vintage, Etsy)
Skirt, Clutch, Gloves, Scarf, Hat, & Brooch: Vintage
Shoes: Royal Vintage Shoes

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous colour - and a genius idea to pair it with your suit skirt. And I cannot believe how good the match is with your clutch and hat. I have looked intently at the photos to see what you mean about the jacket being too long and I don't see that at all. Maybe it is, as you say, because of the skirt length, but to me it looks to be just the right length on me. K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That jacket is really beautiful and I can SO relate to things being too long and not caring. Haha! I need shorter jackets as well, but sometimes you just need one regardless.
    xo
    Kristina
    eyreeffect.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hat and bag are so perfect together.

    Let the ducks fly free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! I was trying, but then my duck house (ahem, laptop) crashed and now it's at the repair place...

      Delete
  4. Love it! I found myself peering at the clutch thinking hmm, I could crochet that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Most of these corde bags are/were crochet for sure!

      Delete
  5. Marvellous outfit. Love the colours and the accessories. Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...