November 23, 2017

A Red Jacket








Lets face it, a jacket like this one steals the show of any outfit. I picked up this beauty from the much loved seller FabGabs on Etsy last April and have been excited to wear it in autumn ever since. Now as autumn turns to winter, this deep red jacket can see me happily suited all season long.

I paired the bold red jacket with a simple pleated grey skirt and black accessories for its first appearance here on the blog, but I'm sure you all will be seeing it again with other color combinations in the future. I have a black 50's suit with a red and blue fleck running through the wool and I think this jacket will go great with that skirt as well. I did replace the buttons on this jacket with dark red ones as opposed to keeping the pearlescent white-ish pink ones it had when it arrived, but of course that was a simple fix. One has to be quick when trying to snatch up pieces from popular sellers like Fab Gabs, and I clicked straight over to Etsy to buy this jacket the moment I spotted it on their Instagram page. I can't get involved in the fierce races against time when it comes to a lot of vintage buying and selling where competition for pieces can get really fierce, mostly because I just can't afford to buy a lot of vintage, especially at a moments notice. I was lucky back in April that all the stars aligned for me to add this jacket to my collection! Thank you Fab Gabs!

I decided to style the jacket this way after watching Cover Girl and admiring how the suiting was styled in the film. I even wore my hair up and with a hat of a similar style to one Rita Hayworth wears in a scene visiting the magazine offices in the film. I'm actually not really a fan of wearing my hair up these days, I feel like the shape of my head/face doesn't lend itself to updos being flattering. I think it's to do with the back of my head being a bit flat where it meets my neck, as I have trouble keeping scarves/turbans on my head as well. Ah well, one must work with what they've got! It was fun putting together this rather accurate 1940's outfit, but I'll let you know a secret, the skirt is from the 80's ;)

Jacket: Vintage (Fab Gabs)
Skirt: Stolen from my Mom's closet years ago
Shoes: Royal Vintage Shoes
Scarf, Jewelry, Hat, Gloves, & Clutch: Vintage


7 comments:

  1. Hi Bianca, you are so right about the jacket stealing the show! I love the colour and you did so well to get it. I think your hair looks lovely and think the hat is beautiful addition. I am always on the look out for a jacket but needing a larger size and finances always seems to be s stumbling block. Looking forward to seeing more winter outfits. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! Jackets and suits are always difficult to find, they always seems to be tiny which gets irritating fast I know. One day I'd love to learn to tailor like this so I can make serious suiting myself, it is certainly an additional layer of skill on from basic sewing!

      Delete
  2. That is a gorgeous jacket! I love the color and the strong shape of it. The styling, with the pleated skirt and beret, is absolutely perfect. I'm excited to see how else you style it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I can't wait to wear it again soon :)

      Delete
  3. You sure know how to rock a strong 40s jacket, lady! Look at those shoulders and nipped waist - what happened to fashion that made these touches disappear from women's jackets? I can't really say I'm a fan of the slouchy modern look at all, but this is pure fabulous. I love that gorgeous cranberry shade, and the 80s skirt was a great match both in colour and in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harlow! I do love a tailored hourglass shape to my clothes, even if I have a fling with loose 20's styles now and again, I always rely on the new look silhouette to feel really strong and sharp!

      Delete
  4. Your hair looks lovely done up like this, and the dramatic hat and jacket work so well together to create a 1940's look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...