Sunday, September 10, 2017

Video: Feeling Costume-y In Vintage Style


Feel a bit out of place or maybe you just aren't used to wearing vintage style out and about? Getting comments like "It isn't Halloween yet you know?" or "Are you going to a costume party?" is never fun, you just like vintage style, you're not wearing a costume! Here in my latest video I wanted to talk about feeling costume-y in vintage, some tips for those who want to avoid looking too "costume-y" and an to extend an invitation to discuss the subject some more in comments. Do you feel costume-y when wearing vintage?


3 comments:

  1. Things like evening looks (hair, makeup or garments) during a non-evening event also look costumey. Not that it doesn't look good, it could look amazing, but it will stand out at the grocery store.

    That being said, one of the pieces of advice from "How to Walk in High Heels" by Camilla Morton recommends taking new fancy shoes TO the grocery store. You have a cart to hang onto, and long smooth aisles to walk down and time to work on longer strolls, and casual perusals and leaning and bending for items. :P It's a fun book about enjoying the glam side of a woman's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic! I think a lot of this is just about being comfortable in your own skin, and having the confidence to wear whatever you want to. I personally would feel costumey in a modern athleisure look, just because it's not 'me'. I think the more you wear something, the less self-conscious you get about it. I have some items that I thought were a bit 'out there' but now I wear them without a second thought, and people generally don't bat an eyelid. I look forward to reading other people's comments! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Porcelina that a lot is confidence, and also that sometimes confidence comes from just getting past the hurdle of the first wear. But since I often lack that confidence, not looking costume-y is important to me!

    For me, not wanting to do the hair and make-up can be a drawback as you mentioned, that it can make the vintage clothes look more out of place on me. I'm still trying to work that one out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...