September 25, 2017

Cinnamon Season








Fall has arrived quite entirely at once here in Colorado, and simply I can't conceal my glee. It was foggy, drizzly, raining, and dim and my little spooky heart couldn't soak up enough of it! I opened my curtains to a cool grey world last Friday and couldn't have been more pleased. I made pumpkin spice cookies, I burned cedar incense and watched Penny Dreadful, I wore layers of wool and actually switched on our fireplace (darn modern fireplaces with switches instead of real wood!). The best of the seasons has arrived, and I mean to make the most of it!

Somehow I must let autumn renew me, as I have been a bit stuck the last few weeks, not making progress on my many projects as quickly as I should be. I didn't even sew a single stitch this weekend! Dreadful. Most of all I need to be writing, or rather editing and writing, because I am so tired of being half way finished with this darn book I have been working on for far too long. Writing is so strange, because when you are working on a novel you have absolutely no way of knowing if it is any good at all. It could be absolute drivel for as far as anyone knows. Some days you sit down to edit and think "who wrote this chapter, it's awesome!" and other days you find one plot problem and want to delete the whole draft. It is more often than not much too difficult to judge ones own work, so how is anyone ever to know whether or not they are wasting their time? Though, as long as I have been putting off finishing this book, I am quite an expert in wasting time I assure you. The only way to quiet the question is to finish the damn thing and have other people read it, that way someone can tell me if it is entertaining or just nonsense! I do a bad job of setting time aside just for writing, so I endeavor to change that in my schedule moving into fall.

More writing time makes for less sewing time, so it's a good thing re-styling the things already in my closet is easier and more fun in the fall. I made this plaid skirt earlier this year in spring and paired it with navy then too, but this time I chose navy accessories and a cinnamon colored top. This is of course one of Vivien of Holloway's slash neck tops. I really like these tops except that the seams in retro style bras tend to show through the knit even with a camisole, which isn't ideal. Smooth modern lingerie can solve this problem but isn't nearly as flattering shape wise, so I try to pretend I don't care about the imperfect smoothness. The fall leaf brooch is a new addition to my collection, and one of two twin brooches I snatched up separately; though they are not identical twins as the other has a more orangey paint job than the one I'm wearing here with dark pink tones.

My hair already needs a touch up to return to deepest midnight purple, something else to add to the to-do list. I'm always writing about needing more time, and no matter how much I am ever able to improve my scheduling I doubt that feeling will ever go away. So much to make, to sew, to write, so few productive hours to pack it all into. At least the leaves are changing and the weather is ideal (misty grey is my ideal, the sooner I move to London the better). More tea then, and then back to work!

Skirt: Made by me
Top: Vivien of Holloway
Shoes: Modcloth
Belt: Amazon
Beret: Souvenir from Paris
Gloves & Jewelry: Vintage


6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, I can tell you are in your element. Though if you really want a perennial damp and moody climate, forget London and come to Wales!! We lit our wood burner the other night and have just been given a huge crop of apples and pears from my Dad's garden. So, there are some plus points to autumn I concede. I am wearing velvet this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Porcelina! I imagine nearly any city in Wales would be much less crazy expensive than London so I'd have a better chance by far ;) Wales and Northern Ireland are the only parts of the British/Irish islands I haven't yet visited. I'll be back over there as soon as I can <3

      Delete
  2. Perfect autumn outfit, these colours are so lovely all together. I am very pleased to see Autumn arriving so I can imagine how excited you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top looks ace. I keep being tempted by those and thinking they won't work with big, low busts (mine, obvs; you're a lovely shape), but they honestly never seem to look bad on anyone. Seeing how good yours looks is making me think I should try one. It looks fab with that skirt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...