March 27, 2017

Wistful Wisteria









The day started out sunnier, and I had high hopes for nice light and pretty blue skies to match my gloves, but then things turned grey and my new spring dress seemed to be suddenly a bit out of place. What's a girl to do when the weather isn't behaving?

I mentioned on Instagram last week that I figured out a fabric that had been languishing in my stash for ages was actually rayon after I had long thought it to be polyester. Why oh why did I ever think this lovely cold rayon was poly? I pulled this wisteria print out last week and was surprised to find the drape was much nicer than I remembered from when I bought it years ago, and a quick burn test confirmed it was rayon! Silly me! Determined to have a new dress by the weekend, I cut out a simple A-line late 30's/early 40's basic silhouette. I finished the interior seams, sleeve hems, and hem with rayon seam binding and the neckline is finished with a self fabric facing. This was the first time I have ever made a matching belt with a covered buckle and I found it really fiddly! I'm not sure I am a fan, as the buckle still feels so light and like it will pop apart to me, but perhaps that's just because I'm not used to these sort of kits. I do have some old celluloid buckles that I can use for future matching belts so I may stick to using those for now. I do still need to make or buy some little shoulder pads for this dress too, but you know when you have a new dress, you just have to wear it right away! 

How about this handbag though?! I love my black vintage plastiflex clutch so much that I snapped up this checkered brown and ivory version when I spotted it for sale. I dream of having a rainbow collection of these woven plastic clutches one day, there is something so modern about them even though the patent numbers inside date them to the earlier half of the 1940s. The tile design on this one is very different from my black clutch, they remind me of Legos a bit!

I finally finished beading the bolero I mentioned recently and I just have to finish tacking the lining down a bit inside as it wants to move around a lot for some reason. I haven't made much progress on the galaxy tulle skirt yet, but I promise I'll show you as soon as I have made some headway! I also accidentally ordered some really pretty fabrics from Mood this weekend, you know...when you accidentally buy more fabric, could happen to anyone ;) I hope you all have a wonderful start to the week!

Dress: Made by me
Clutch, Gloves, Hat, & Jewelry: Vintage
Shoes: Bait Footwear
Fishnets: Amazon


10 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, despite the grey skies! Growing up, the back of my parents house was draped with wisteria, I used to draw it. What lovely fabric. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Porcelina! I don't think I have ever seen real wisteria in person, it seems gorgeous in photos!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you made that dress so quickly! It looks beautiful.

    I like polyester sometimes - it's so easy to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! I'm not working currently (lets call it "between jobs"...ish) so I have lots of sewing time!

      Delete

      Delete
  3. This is heavenly!!! You know, I actually really like how photos turn out on a grey day - the lack of shadows gives everything a really soft look which I love. I think these photos are gorgeous! That dress is divine, like all of your creations - but what I really adore about this outfit is the way the gloves match the flowers on your dress - love that powder blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harlow! I do prefer overcast skies in general for photos too, but it was super dark this day so I ended up having to lighten the photos a bit as it was obvious it was about to storm! It was indeed a great moment when I realized the gloves would match ;)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous dress, and fabulous to pick out the blue of the pattern with your gloves - just lovely ! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have certainly caught the glove collecting bug over the last year <3

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous outfit. The dress is so pretty and I love how your blue gloves pick out the colour in the dress. The hat is fabulous dramatic too. Your head shots could be a forties Vogue cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate-Em! That is extra nice to hear as I wasn't super happy with these photos for whatever silly reason :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...