Friday, February 3, 2017

The Complete Book of Sewing from 1943


Goodness, I've been absent this week no? So sorry! Today I return with a short chapter I scanned from 1943's The Complete Book of Sewing by Constance Talbot.


 I recently picked up this book in hope of gleaning some vintage sewing wisdom, and wow is this book detailed! I hope to learn (and share!) more from the lovely yellowed pages of this wonderful book, but for today I scanned the short chapter on "The Fine Art of Mending" for you all to enjoy. Make do and mend ladies!











8 comments:

  1. I have the 1949 reprint of this! It's pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost want to scan and upload the whole darn thing, but I don't know if the copyright is expired or not! I'll just have to read through it all and compile the best tips to share <3

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I couldn't pass it up, I figure vintage techniques for vintage sewing right? :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful book! I have never understood how to darn fine stockings though, surely it's impossible?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine even attempting it! Plus I get so frustrated with ripped stockings that I throw them out in a huff ;)

      Delete
  4. I love finding old knitting and sewing books. This looks like a fantastic one. I have a little tin of vintage threads for darning stockings but I can't imagine doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know darning stockings sounds maddening!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...