August 31, 2016

Making a Brimmed Hat: Attaching the Crown and Brim (& Finishing the Hat!)


Well hello there! It took me a little while to finally finish up my most recent millinery project, I've been a busy bee lately! Today I'll be going over how I finished putting the hat together once the crown and brim have been covered with fabric individually. 

Once you have covered the pieces of the hat, it is simply a matter of stitching the crown onto the cut tabs of the brim.


To hold the crown and brim together while I sew them together, I pin from the outside in through the corner while holding the two pieces together like you see below.




Above you can see what the pinning looks like from the outside.


Now simply stab stitch through the many layers to stitch the crown and brim together. That's it? Yes, and oddly it ends up feeling quite secure.


Of course then there are visible stitches on the outside of the stand, but of course you will be tacking on a ribbon right? Yes indeed, I've gone for a tiny velvet ribbon in this case.


What about the inside? Well officially you should stitch in a lining, I usually do a lazy lining of a circle of silk larger than the crown opening gathered in place and stitched along the edge. Over this lining you will stitch in the petersham head ribbon, or if you are really really lazy like me you can skip the lining (...yep) and just sew in the ribbon.


 
Then we have reached the very best part of hat making, decorating the hat! I had this vintage wide striped ribbon I bought just for decorating a hat such as this, and it dominates the shape for sure. I decided to pinch the ribbon into a sort of butterfly shape and I love how it came out!

I hope you all enjoyed watching this hat come together, I am certainly excited to wear it! I need more 1940s dresses to wear all of my hats with :)



13 comments:

  1. Its been a great series and a joy to watch this hats journey - Thanks. I feel like I can give it a try myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ribbon is AWESOME! I thought it might have been several ribbons stitched together (and could have been.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bow is the perfect finishing touch. Takes it from 'nice hat' to 'wow hat!'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! I new the ribbon would be the focus for this hat in the end :)

      Delete
  4. This tutorial series has been fabulous! The finished result is perfection, I love how striking the ribbon is, I can't wait to see how you style it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I can't wait to wear it so you will see it styled soon <3

      Delete
  5. One of these days I'm going to be brave and attempt to make a hat myself. Your series has been a great inspiration and I always admire the work you do with millinery. I absolutely love the bold colours of the ribbon against the dark hat. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cate! You should totally give it a try, it seems intimidating but it's just sewing taken into a more 3D form.

      Delete
  6. This has been a grea tutorial series. The ribbon is magnificent, what a stunning hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh darn it! I was thinking yesterday that it would be great to make my own accessories, but how do I make hats? And presto,today I mooch on your blog and find this! You magical, magical human, you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...