July 24, 2016

Sunday Spotlight: Now Voyager


This suit on the sister inlaw is gorgeous!
and this hat is everything! The most perfect hat, I must have a fine milliner make me one someday! Major swoon <3


Then there is this printed suit, I've never seen anything like it! Where is this pieces? What color was it? Give it to me! Now I need a printed 1940's suit!




1942's Now Voyager starring Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. Not only was the fashion divine, but it was a great film too! Nothing like a narrative of a woman breaking free and coming into her own and choosing happiness for herself. Bette Davis is Charlotte Vale, of the hoity toity Vale family of Boston, and her mother is a nightmare stuck in 1912. Domineering and mean, she has Charlotte locked tightly into a shell until it cracks and she is whisked off to freedom at a very kindly psychiatric retreat. Finally free from her mother's control Charlotte begins to become a real person again, and instead of going home she takes a voyage to South America to meet people and learn what it is like to be independent. That's only the first third of the film! It is quite long I'll warn you, but I enjoyed it all the same and I highly recommend watching it!

1940's suiting and fantastic hats, what could be better!

8 comments:

  1. Never seen it! Need to buy a copy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a copy in a set from TCM with Mogambo, Love in the Afternoon, and Splendor in the Grass. I've only watched Mogambo and Now Voyager so far!

      Delete
  2. Love this movie! And seeing these pictures makes me want a Now Voyager hairdo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched thinking "darn I think my hair is too short right now to do that..."

      Delete
  3. That printed suit calls to me as well. Was it earth toned? A wash with jewel shades? A pastel stunner that channeled spring? A muted delight that instantly said autumn? Whatever the case, it was gorgeous and fairly unique for the time, as all-over print suits (excluding stripes and plaids) weren't very common in the forties.

    Thank you for highlighting some of the most breathtaking looks from this early 1940s flick. I hope you're able to find a similar hat or have one, as you said, custom made. I just know it would look incredible on you.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I want a color photo of that suit! Also, I want that suit! It really stood out to me as I don't think I've ever seen a printed suit like that before.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this but I like the look of the costumes. I very much like the hat that the woman in the striped jacket is wearing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...