November 12, 2015

Peridot Moiré













When I went to buy vintage hat veiling to finish of the ivory linen boater I made this summer, I came home with a 1 1/2 of this gorgeous moire print brocade in iridescent chocolate brown and peridot green. It sat in my stack of fabrics for this fall until I finally started on the skirt. I came across a problem almost immediately, I loved both sides of the fabric, I couldn't even really decide which side was the "right" side since both were so pretty! Well something had to be done about it, and that something was making the skirt with the predominantly green side facing out, and making a matching top with the more brown side facing out. In the end I think I prefer the brown side as the subtle metallic green shimmering iridescently out of the soft brown really is just too beautiful.

I love moire fabric to begin with, though in truth this fabric is woven to look moire, rather than being an actual physical moire fabric. Moire (also called waterd silk) is created by calendaring (running through rollers) a ribbed fabric like a taffeta in a particular way to produce the wood grain like effect. It was used a lot more in historical dress, and is rather hard to find now, mostly it is used for home decor purposes. I'd love to have real silk moire one day for an 18th century francaise, a girl can dream!

More warm golden hour photos today as my wonderful photographer is only available late in the day and thanks to daylight savings, I don't get very much daylight anymore. Schedules may have to be adjusted! I should add a note about the rather magnificently mangled large tree I am standing within above. I can only imagine it was struck by powerful lighting once upon a time to end up so absurdly blown apart and twisted. It must have been a very large tree too, as even what remains is large enough for me to stand inside twice over. Nothing like really old trees, I just adore them!

Skirt and Top: Made by me
Shoes: Amazon
Belt: Banana Republic
Brooch and Bracelet: Vintage
Earrings: Etsy

11 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of that type of fabric, how interesting. What a beautiful spot again with that tree, is this close to where you live? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moire is one of my favorites! I have a 20's dress in black moire too. If I could buy black moire by the bolt I probably would! This glorious little area is actually around the corner from my local post office and was once (over a hundred years ago) a farm. The windmill is all that remains of the farm, and the old trees of course :)

      Delete
  2. Everything about this dress is fabulous. You have turned it into something very special - opulent even - but somehow with a simple elegance! I always adore those shoes too! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I only wish these shoes were more comfortable, perhaps if I wear them more they will at least stretch a little!

      Delete
  3. Deeply gorgeous outfit. I love moire so much. It makes me think of the Christmas parties my parents and grandparents hosted when I was little and how wildly elegant the ladies all looked to me the time in their swishing taffeta, velvet, moire, and silk evening ensembles.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I do love a good holiday dress too, I have plans to make a few this year even if I don't have parties to go to :)

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful light and colours in these photos and they suit the outfit so very well. This is just glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, I am still trying to get used to the sun setting so early!

      Delete
  5. Never heard about moire but sounds very interesting.
    Love what you've done with it. I prefer the green side, but both are gorgeous and you've made a perfect outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayumi! Moire is the best, I'm always on the hunt for it at fabric shops!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...