February 6, 2015

Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art


If you guys are anything like me, and if you are here let's face it you probably are, you love vintage decorative arts as much as you love the clothes. I am an Antiques Roadshow junkie, I can never get enough (I watch the US and the UK versions!). I love a good flea market, thrift shop, and of course antique mall! I go goo-goo for Lalique glass, silver tea services, Rookwood pottery, and retro Eames chairs. That's why I love (LOVE!) the Kirkland Museum here in Denver!

The Kirkland Museum is named for Vance Kirkland, a Colorado based artist who created wonderful and very colorful abstract paintings from the late 20's through the early 1980's. The museum is housed in Kirkland's 1911 studio and home, with his studio room intact. In addition to being the home of the majority of Kirkland's large body of work, the museum has a huge collection of decorative arts spanning from the Art Nouveau to the 1980's. When I say huge collection, I mean jam packed, overstuffed, crazy levels of amazing!

As Wikipedia sums it up:

"Displays objects from the decorative art movements of Arts & Crafts, Aesthetic, Art Nouveau, Glasgow Style, Wiener Werkstätte, De Stijl, Bauhaus, Art Deco, Modern, Pop Art, and Postmodern. The collection focuses on objects from c. 1875 to 1990. Over 3,500 objects are on view at any time. According to scholars, including Patricia Kane, Curator of American Decorative Arts, Yale University, “Nowhere else in the country can one see such a comprehensive presentation of international twentieth-century design.”[6] Peter Loughrey, Director Los Angeles Modern Auction, similarly stated, “I believe your museum has the finest survey of 20th century design on view in America today.”"

For me, it is like Antiques Roadshow live, The names and pieces I have seen so often on my beloved TV program live and in color right in from of me (okay behind glass, but still). Tiffany Studio's glass, Clarice Cliff pottery, Frank Lloyd Wright chairs (even some you can sit in!); the list goes on and on!

While those not local to Denver may be unable to visit this amazing museum, please at least enjoy the photo-spam below!










Those straps hanging there were used to suspend Kirkland above the painting so he could get to all areas of a large work in progress!










These chairs just above are the Frank Lloyd Wright designed chairs that one can actually sit in. They are from a theater he designed in Texas.

I hope you enjoyed out little visit to the museum! If you are in the Denver area or pass through, make sure to stop by the Kirkland Museum!


4 comments:

  1. Massive Antiques Road Show fan, too! UK, US, (lesser known) Canadian - I love and have learned so much over the years from all of them.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to figure out if there is a way I can watch the Canadian Roadshow down here! I am always keen for more antiques!

      Delete
  2. When I was little we always watched the Antiques Roadshow with our Sunday evening tea of soup and cheese scones. It was a little ritual! This looks like a museum that I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antiques Roadshow is a good ritual to have! I have turned my mom onto the show too, so now we watch it all the time while having afternoon coffee :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...