September 26, 2018

Popular Populus











Apparently aspen trees, or quaking North American aspen trees really, are officially called Populus tremuloides-- and its got nothing to do with popularity in reality, though who wouldn't be a fan of these golden leaves?

I love seeing the rich vibrant yellow coin like leaves shimmering in the breeze in fall, though the trees down here in Denver haven't quite turned yet. Luckily all it takes to enjoy some autumn color a bit early is a quick jaunt up to even higher elevations! I always make a yearly trip to Guanella pass, a gorgeous road through the mountains here in Colorado, though this year the aspens were not as plentiful or colorful as in years past it seemed. Many trees on one side of the pass had somehow either already lost their leaves or had died over the last year, while only half the trees on the other side of the pass had changed color already. I really need to expand to other Rocky Mountain day trips, but even with a less golden glow than usual Guanella pass is still a stunning drive.

I was feeling fall ready in a scratchy wool plaid skirt (vintage, but why didn't they line it? Must I do these things myself?...honestly) and my Emmy Design Sweden cardigan. I pinned on a little owl brooch for an extra woodland themed touch, and stuck with a neutral light beige for my hat and gloves. The shoes are from Modcloth, and I have been waiting years for them to release this style in green again so I snapped them up quick a few months ago. The faux suede finish is not good for casual bouldering around mountain creeks however so, do as I say and not as I do and wear proper boots when adventuring of course.

And just like that, it is fall. I feel a bit like I am falling too just now, and not in a good way. Falling, flailing, failing... Well, let's hope that changes soon. At least vintage fashion can reliably cheer me up, even if I need constant top ups in that regard these days. I know I keep asking, but haven't any of you gotten around to inventing a time machine for me? I mean, all a gal wants is her own little flat/house to decorate for Halloween for once you know...but I shouldn't complain as I have it so good! Just think of all the faux spider webs I could be draping everywhere though... Decorate for me my dears, and I'll keeping saying "maybe next year" until I'm a Halloween ghost myself.

Cardigan: Emmy Design Sweden
Skirt, Clutch, Gloves, Brooch, & Hat: Vintage
Shoes: Modcloth


13 comments:

  1. So sorry you feel that way! I hope the beautiful weather (and your gorgeous vintage outfits!) will perk you up before long. And in the meantime, perhaps you could drape a closet door with webs and a grinning skeleton? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just completely impatient and want my dreams to have come true yesterday of course ;)

      Delete
  2. As always the scenery is stunning! Your colour palette today is one of my all time favourites. Anything on the purpley(real word?) side with green. As a spinner and dyer of yarn no matter what dyes i threw in my dye pot the yarns always came out purple/burgandy/green! I hope you're ok? Sorry to hear you are feeling that things are going right. The view of you from here is always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol Ann! That is very kind of you to say, I do wish to "keep it real" and let the bad brain days go acknowledged, as life is unfortunately not always glam! I just get frustrated as I feel like my life is in slow motion, I just need more time to do all the things! (and to focus enough so one of them could perhaps afford me a living...bleh)

      Delete
  3. I love that skirt *so much*! My favorite colors, and pleated, too. The sweater and the shoes are just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you start driving now you can be at my place in half a day-and you can decorate for me! I have ZERO skill with holiday decorating. I suggested putting a pumpkin mask on our christmas penguin and sticking him out front but that was quickly vetoed;)

    I love your purple and green outfit so much I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seasons can certainly cause ennui. In our recognition of their steady phases we look for signs that we're passing through our own. I've often wondered if I could live in perpetual springtime. I'd surely become tentative and fearful of fruition and head off on a literal or metaphorical plane before I got anywhere.

    I'm not suggesting that you're impatient, or unaware of the passing nature of these things. What I do believe though, is that sometimes our perspective shifts. We refocus and a new possibility is revealed. For me, the frustration comes when I try to force this. It is when I have actively attended to making space for it, allowing it, that chance has come calling. That includes finding flats to live in :)

    Please cherish this time, you are pursuing what's important to you. Your conviction, that these things are important, is a strength. Try not to define progress in a way that destabilises you.

    Be the owl, not the leaf! Preen your feathers, don't peck at them. Sit steady on your branch! Be secure in your knowledge. Maintain your territory and sweep in when the light changes.

    ~ Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am very impatient I assure you ;) Sadly the hold up is not in finding a flat or home, it is in affording to seek one in the first place. However this "Please cherish this time, you are pursuing what's important to you. Your conviction, that these things are important, is a strength. Try not to define progress in a way that destabilizes you. " was SO HELPFUl, thank you so much for that. I tend to say to myself and aloud a lot that I am "wasting" so much time, but I have written a book that I ADORE and that is not time wasted. Thank you again!

      Delete
    2. :) You're welcome. What I was, rather obscurely, trying to say is... Sometimes something seemingly impossible becomes somehow possible. That's not much clearer is it? For example, have you ever looked here? https://fundsforwriters.com/grants/

      Delete
  6. I love the colour scheme of the plaid skirt! I'm not much of a red person, and most plaids have red in them- so I always love it when they have different colours. And that's interesting- it looks like it's a circle skirt that's pressed into pleats? That's a unique detail I haven't seen before. Oh- and you've accessorized perfectly too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! The skirt isn't even a half circle, more like a 1/3 circle-ish perhaps, but that's the idea certainly :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...