February 14, 2018

Cataloging Catalogs: Montgomery Ward's Fall/Winter 1947-1948


It's been a little while since we last had some new catalog pages up here on the blog hasn't it? I finally sat down at our scanner this past weekend to start work on digitizing the next Montgomery Wards catalog in my collection. I am excited to share with all of you the Ward's Fall/Winter 1947-1948 catalog! Today we begun our dive into this cooler season catalog with some serious suiting and coats from the later half of the 1940s.

I tend to try and stick to buying Spring and Summer catalogs more than the Fall and Winter ones because personally I am most interested in discovering interesting details and style lines for reproducing dresses, and I have much less of a talent for making suiting or coats which tend to be featured heavily (naturally...) in the F/W catalogs. Still, my area of interest and focus is not the same as everyone else's! So I am happy to be able to share this resource with all of you :)

Of course, even though I doubt I'll be reproducing any of these particular styles myself anytime soon, the styling and color inspiration found within these pages is still useful in styling my vintage inspired wardrobe. I also quite like seeing the typical hairstyles, clearly I need to wear my hair in side combs more often...




More pages below the jump, in a nice large size for your zooming and reading pleasure...
























More pages coming soon ;)


4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'm not so keen on the slightly longer line of those jackets... we used to wear a similar length in the late 90s, and it always looks out of proportion to me somehow! But thank you for sharing them, because it's always fascinating to see catalogue pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer jackets don't really work on my frame either, I have definitely skipped buying beautiful suits that would otherwise fit for this reason as I know they would drown me.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for always sharing these images- I love looking at them, even if I wouldn't wear the styles myself. I'm not too keen on the boxier silhouette of the 40's suits, but I do really like their styling and some of the outerwear too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a boxy shoulder on a nipped in suit, but the really boxy coats that are just huge rectangles could not possibly be flattering on my shape! They are a bit too much ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...