March 9, 2017

Trefoil, Thorn, and Thicket









Sun blaring enough to sting my eyes, but instead of warmth and the smell of flowers in the air there are only cold winds and dirty black piles of snow still melting slowly in every parking lot. The duller days of winter, after the charm of the snow has melted away and it becomes more inconvenience than ideal, and that's only when there is snow at all. Even snow is preferable to dead grass and a leafless world. Perhaps I can pretend my world of dead trees and tan grasses is actually the dry season of someplace much more exotic. Early spring always triggers my love of safari style somehow, it must be all the tall dry grass.

I am well overdue for making a new pair of jodhpurs, and since Butterick came out with a new pattern, I imagine I'll get around to making some proper ones soon. The pair I have on here have no stretch, and though perhaps they are more accurate for it, I feel like if ladies of the 1940's had the option of some slight stretch in their jodhpurs they would have taken it! So my next pair will be a twill with a bit of stretch, because it sounds much more comfortable. Still I do quite like the look of jodhpurs so I continue to wear these and this time I paired them with the jacket from my black 1940s suit. I still cant believe I own this suit sometimes, it's just my dream suit and I'm so lucky to have it! The little hat I have on here was featured in a thrift haul video of mine from ages ago and originally had very dusty bright blue netting that I removed and replaced with vintage clover flowers and a bit of black netting. The hat base is such a good little shape, I think it was possibly something semi-homemade originally; that the owner would have bought the base and trimmed it herself as there is no trace of a label inside. I know I'd love to have a few more colors of this little hat base to pile flowers and trimmings on!

Sure something about jodhpurs does feel a little costumey. There is this debate about being "in costume" when wearing vintage that I don't really buy. Everyone is wearing their costume, choosing one that happens to be anachronistic is just a little more fun.

A very rude costume supervisor (for a very small inconsequential opera house, just saying) once told me I had no place in applying to their summer internship as costuming and fashion design had nothing in common. She could have ignored my application, but instead she emailed me a rather odd response to my resume stating that there was no crossover between the two and she basically told me no self respecting costume department would ever even consider an apparel designer. Forgive me for continuing to disagree. Obvious transferable sewing skills aside, what is a fashion designer if not someone creating a costume for a character conjured out of pure imagination? Just because a costume designer gets to see the script doesn't mean the fashion designer (or stylist) doesn't have a character in mind as well. We all remain the costume designers of our own lives, choosing the right garments for each occasion and beat of our story. Some days are build for comfort sure, and other days an ensemble can suggest an entire narrative of its own. A rider without a horse perhaps, a safari in winter. The more stories the better I say.

Jacket, Gloves, Scarf, Brooch, and Hat: Vintage
Jodhpurs: Made by me
Boots: JCPenny

10 comments:

  1. I loved hearing your thoughts on fashion vs. costume. I totally agree. Each day we choose who we want to be that day, regardless of whatever we wear (whether it is something "in fashion" or not) I'm so glad for that freedom to choose, too!
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I'm glad to hear that all made sense ha! <3

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely little clover hat! A whimsical touch on a practical outfit.

    That costume designer was very rude. Even if she felt that way inside, she didn't have to express it. She could simply have said they'd found an intern and wouldn't be able to offer you a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim! I felt the same way, it was such a strange email I assure you!

      Delete
  3. I love the equestrian feel of this look. So playful and feminine. It does always astound me how people feel the need to educate others on their silliness and incompetence. I always try to see the funny side, because at the end of the day the only person who looked stupid was her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! It was definitely more random/funny than actually hurtful, mostly because she replied so quickly after I sent in my resume and was so totally wrong?! People are silly

      Delete
  4. First, your outfit is amazing! I love it!

    Also, sorry about the odd and rude e-mail! That is just horrid! And also just plain wrong!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janey! It was years ago now so I just remember it as rather silly, but yes, also just incorrect! ;)

      Delete
  5. The new Butterick catalogue just arrived at work and I thought of you when I saw the jodhpur pattern, before I read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to be associated with Jodhpurs! I can't wait to try and make that pattern up sometime this summer :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...