February 15, 2015

Truly Victorian Bustle Plans

I am about to start the next phase in my ongoing bustle dress quest, creating the bustle itself! I have Truly Victorian's Imperial Tournure pattern, though I can't decide if I want to make the regular sized bustle or the larger "imperial" size. How big shall my bustle be? I think I will end up making the regular size, since I can always add another layer of stiffened ruffles on top if I decide I want to go bigger.

I bought a sorta-loud paisley print cotton to make the bustle out of, as paisley is period correct and more fun than making a plain bustle anyway! I have heard that this pattern goes together relatively easily, so hopefully I will be able to show you guys the completed bustle soon!

Lobster bustle and Victorian undergarments, Kyoto Costume Institute
After the bustle, all I will have left to complete my set of late Victorian undergarments will be a petticoat! I really want to get moving on this costume as I was hoping to have it all done this spring. Sadly I decided to forgo my Your Wardrobe Unlocked competition plans this year. I was going to make a 1920's dress, but I ended up have neither the time nor the extra funds to put into it. Perhaps I will make something for next years contest instead.

I do have other costuming plans for the year ahead. After I finish my bustle dress (which I have finally settled on a design for the dress itself hooray!) I want to put together a simple Edwardian ensemble of a shirtwaist and cotton skirt. The outfit will be very Adele Blanc-Sec inspired and should be fun! I also have some violet silk taffeta that is begging to become an 18th century pet en l'air, possibly with a multi-layer gauzy-muslin petticoat. As usual I have grand sewing plans, and not necessarily time to complete them all! We shall see, I'll get back to my sewing room...



2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I can see the appeal of both sizes - yet my "blink" reaction is to opt for the larger. There's something to be said for the old adage "bigger is better" when it comes to fashion. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would make the big one at first, but now I am so torn!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...