July 3, 2013

Weekday Update!

Woah! Hello blog! I got crazy bust this past week with a visiting friend and a rush hat commission! All of my other projects had been put on hold for the hats I had to make but I am making myself a new schedule today to get back on track.

Something I just have to talk about today is this amazing retro fabulous bar I discovered in downtown Denver! My dearest friend Gina came up to Denver and neither of us have been 'out' in Denver before so we set out on an adventure to check out a few places. This was the first bar we stopped into and what a beauty!

photo credit : Esquire
Photo Credit: Oxford Hotel Denver
This little jewel box cocktail bar resides inside the Oxford Hotel in Denver, right next to Union Station. Opened the day after prohibition was repealed in 1933 the bar retains almost all of its original art deco perfection. Not retro so much as a real vintage! Its one thing to have an artifact of the past like a vintage dress or cocktail shaker but to be in an entirely vintage environment was amazing!

We stepped into the Oxford hotel (which looks quite nice!) and found a glass door directly to our left into this little glowing piece of history. The bar was surprisingly hopping for somewhere that seemed so hidden at first, like a secret jewel only for those in the know. Turns out this place is actually pretty well known and rather popular and I can understand why!

We found seats at the bar (only after a couple was leaving but we didn't wait long) and perused the cocktail menu. I ended up going with the bartender's suggestion of a French Martini (pineapple juice, Chambord, vodka) which was served frothy in a chilled vintage martini glass. My pal Gina ordered a drink named something like the harvest martini, it was an American vodka and had an all kinds of yummy honey-ish and herbal taste. Both were delicious yet overpriced, but I didn't mind paying extra for the amazing atmosphere.

I apologize for crappy i-phone pictures :)

Though expensive, I would definitely recommend The Cruise Room to anyone who likes art deco or vintage architecture and atmosphere. It was wonderful sitting at the bar and imagining the decades of fashions and people the room had held!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...