August 5, 2016

Another Miriam Haskell's Style DIY: Wooden Bead 1940's Necklace


I have recently been in the market for a wooden bead necklace in the style of 1940's Miriam Haskells. Then I found little cylinder shaped wooden beads on sale at Joanns! Thus a DIY version was born, and for much less $$$ than a real vintage collectible piece would have cost me! Of course I documented how I put it together for you all, though it is practically cheating posting this-- as it is virtually the exact same technique as my other Miriam Haskell's style tutorial! You don't mind do you? ;)

Here are the vintage necklaces I was inspired by...




I found all of the materials for this project at Joanns and the beads were even on sale which was a nice bonus. You will need:

-Wooden cylinder shaped beads (or any other wooden beads that you'd like)
-Colorful milk glass/opaque seed beads, I choose a medium size
-Headpins
-Chain
-Clasp
-Jump-rings
-Round nose pliers
-Another set of pliers
-A jewelry wire cutter



First cut yourself a length of chain for the necklace, mine here is about 17" long. Thread your beads onto the headpins with one seed bead on either side of the wooden bead.



Next create a loop at the top with the round nose pliers, keeping the beads under tension so you end up up with a little hoop at the top.




I made 9 little charms with larger wooden cylinder beads and then started on the smaller beads. Making this many little charms/dangle-bobs will hurt your hand with all of the plier work, I recommend breaking a project like this up into a few days so you don't end up with a raw sore hand like I've got now!


I made 12 charms of each red, blue, white, and yellow colored accents. I also made 4 of each green, mid-toned blue, and aqua.


I attatched the first larger charm in the dead center of my chain. I then added the rest on either side alternating the colors as I saw fit. I placed each one 3 chain links apart.


I already think this looks cute on its own but I persevered onward. I added two smaller charms of different colors together on one jump-ring and placed these centered between the larger charms.


This took a while, and I basically just placed the colors as randomly as I could to get them as spaced out as I could. After I put one set of smaller charms between each larger bead, I placed three sets at either end. Then I took the left over smaller charms and filled in some of the spaces between the larger charms and the smaller ones. Does that make sense? I hope so. After that I added the clasp on the back of the chain with more jump-rings. Then it looked like this:


As you can see I whipped up some matching earrings too! Gotta have a set :)) You could also make a bracelet with the same techniques. I'd like to try making a brooch next, but not until my hand stops being sore!

 I hope you guys liked this little peek into my night of jewelry making, happy crafting!



9 comments:

  1. Oh this is amazing! I actually looked at some more of Ms Haskells necklaces and happened across the wooden ones,and swooned accordingly. I'm happy you made a tutorial for this, now to gather up some wooden beads! <3


    Carla, Tiny Angry Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! They have a surprising about of wooden beads at Joanns these days!

      Delete
  2. Ooohh, my uber talented friend, this necklace is jaw droppingly beautiful. What a creative, awesome version of another Haskell classic. Your jewelry making skills knock my socks off! Thank you for sharing this splendid howto with us.

    Big hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! It's worth the pain in my hand from over working with the little pliers to have Haskell re-creations to wear ;)

      Delete
  3. You have SO MUCH patience!! You've created a masterpiece there, and I admire the perseverance with sore hands from all the plier action. Well done, looks amazing, and on a budget - girl after my own heart! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Porcelina! I have been making jewelry a long time so I am used to it ;)

      Delete
  4. This is very impressive and looks so great. No wonder your hands are sore! I very much like that you made a matching set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also make jewelry and clothes, and I do have original vintage Haskell jewelry, but I never thought of doing something like her designs, perhaps my respect for her rises to intimidation.You did a very good necklace, an excellent one. You captured the spirit of Haskell of the 40s, the mat colors of the small beads, the very vibrant blue and green, the somewhat faded colors of the wooden beads, the bronze thick chain, everything is Haskell-true. Bravo Bianca.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...