Thursday, November 24, 2016

Sassenach Spirit








What could be better than tartan for late November? I decided to pile it on for this look, two plaids are better than one!

Eventually I think I'll make some edits to this jacket. I regret making the stance so low and I should have done 3 buttons instead of two. I think I may perhaps be able to add some velvet "trim" to the neckline fronts to extend that area but we'll have to see. I'm really bad about mending and fixing my old projects, I always just jump onto the next one! Still, this suit was a big project for me, so it is worth devoting some more time to. This skirt however, I still love, and I really need to make another in this style in all black.

As it is Thanksgiving day here in the US, I have two holiday related things to note. First I wish to thank you all for visiting The Closet Historian! Thank you so much for visiting, and commenting, and letting me be a part of the vintage community. I can't really describe how important the structure and routine of blogging help me reach my creative and personal goals, and help me maintain my sanity on days when I feel I accomplished very little.  So thank you for coming by!

The second note is a bit more serious, and I know some of you may not want to hear about this and will skim by, but as it is Thanksgiving, a holiday built on the myth of unity between invaders and native peoples, I feel I have to bring it up. The brutality of the militarized police actions, and the US federal governments inaction in North Dakota are inexcusable. Native Americans of several tribes are merely coming together to protect their water, to urge the upholding of treaties with the US government that were already unfair to begin with, and to peacefully say "We are still here". Stay educated about what is happening, and stand with Native Americans by donating if you can, and calling your representatives and the White House. I hate making phone calls, they make me really anxious! But sometimes all we can really do to help is add our voice to the cause, so to call the White House try (202) 456 1111, to call the governor of North Dakota call (701) 328 2200. The script I used when I called today was as follows: "I am a constituent and I want to voice my concern for the lack of White House attention to the militarization of police and their use of violent force - against our own citizens - at the Dakota Access Pipeline." The more calls they get, the more annoying we can be, the more likely we can provoke some response. Thanks for reading this and please help if you can!

Jacket & Skirt: Made by me
Scarf, Hat, Gloves, & Jewelry: Vintage
Shoes: Modcloth
Tights: What Katie Did


8 comments:

  1. Who would have thought that two tartans would work so well together, but it's a great look! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the 'stance' mean the neckline?

    I'm loving the double tartan Bianca! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "stance" in men's suiting is the height of the 'waist button' or rather the highest button and determines how deep the V of the suit overlap is, and I assume it is used similarly in women's' suiting but I'm not really sure. :)

      and thank you! <3

      Delete
  3. This is just GLORIOUS!!!!! I love the combination of two tartans - I've never seen it done before and yet obviously this is something that should be done all the time. I adore the addition of the florals against the tartan too, what a striking contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harlow! There is a photo of Christy Turlington in mix matched plaid Vivienne Westwood from the 1990's that totally inspired me to try two diffeent plaids together <3

      Delete
  4. Beautiful spot for photos. The two tartans together are great. The jacket is a fabulous shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate-Em! I am so lucky to have mountains nearby with different levels of forests up to more bare alpine areas!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...