Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Blog Birthday and 3 Things Blogging Has Taught Me



This June marks The Closet Historian's third blog birthday! I can't believe it was three years ago I finally started blogging. It seems to me like I haven't been doing it very long, but when I think back to 2013 it seems like an age ago!

I had just graduated university and was as lost as lost can be, not that I have really figured anything out since in the least! The Closet Historian has been my constant, a much needed project and passion since then and I like to think I've gotten much better at blogging and sewing along the way. The most wonderful surprise has been making lovely vintage loving friends here online, especially as I don't have any vintage inclined friends in my offline life who know the joys of cheap Bakelite scores or pristine hat netting!

But what has blogging for three years taught me?

Firstly, that having a constant creative outlet in my life is such an amazing gift. I have held 3 different jobs (4 if you count an internship) over the last three years. I have had three existential crises....or more...in the last three years. #millennial. I have had dreams and doubts, successes and failures, but I have constantly had this blog to turn to and it has made all the difference. As a naturally creative person I have found it is vital for me to have various outlets for said creativity, sewing, writing, drawing, making videos, and blogging. Blogging is the one thing I have now consistently made time for, have scheduled into my life out of necessity. Its easy to keep blogging now, I feel like I'm on a streak I don't want to break! I enjoy blogging and sharing my vintage fashion, costuming, sewing, and styling escapades with all of you more and more the longer I go on!


Still, the biggest lesson blogging has taught me remains feeling comfortable in my own skin  .When I started this blog there were no outfit photos, in fact there were no photos of me at all, and that was because I still had a hard time letting anyone even take a photo of me! Three years ago I was still shaking off the last vestiges of some long rooted self esteem issues. I hated my body. I hated my body so much. I have talked about this a bit before in this post, and I won't go on about it here, but learning to be in photos again was a huge thing for me when I started this blog. I wanted to put fun outfits together, as outfit posts on other blogs were (and are) super inspiring to me, and I finally reached a place where I could do it. I still have bad days where editing photos for the blog can feel a bit rough and I can still be hard on myself, but remarkably over the past three years there are photos from posts that I actually love. It seems so strange to be surprised to have photos of yourself that you really like, but I used to loath every photograph! Progress I can feel, and it is such a relief in so many ways.

Thirdly blogging has taught me that I love to share information and teach. Three years ago I never once would have have thought of myself as a teacher of any kind, but I have learned that DIY and tutorial posts are some of my very favorite to put together for the blog! It's a trait I never recognized in myself before, but now I'd love nothing more than to expand my capability to become a history and craft communicator. I get the biggest thrill when someone comments on a DIY or tutorial of mine saying they feel inspired to try it out or that they understand the process better. As I continue to learn ever more about vintage and historic styles myself, I hope to be able to share that information in more innovative and engaging ways on this blog. One way I hope to do more demonstrations and tutorials is to make more videos for my recently created YouTube channel so check it out if that sounds like something you would be interested in!

Thank you all for visiting this blog! Thank you for your comments and support, it has meant the world to me as The Closet Historian has grown over the last few years! It is such an amazing gift to have carved out a little spot on the internet and I wouldn't give up blogging for anything at this point! This community has made such a difference in my life already, and I can't wait to be blogging for another three years :) 


14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on three years! Those are some big and important lessons and wonderful things to have in your life. Plus you are sharing inspiration, ideas and knowledge with us, and I know we appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanith! It is so kind of you to say so, I am so happy everyday to have visitors here!

      Delete
  2. Happy blog anniversary, Bianca!
    And those are some great and valuable lessons learned.
    I'm really glad I stumbled upon your blog one evening, you're such a darling, and inspiring person. And I adore seeing your amazing posts.
    To many more blogging years! <3

    Carla, Tiny Angry Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carla! I am so happy to have made so many vintage loving acquaintances online including your darling self! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy third blogiversary! I totally agree with all your points, particularly feeling comfortable in my own skin. It's amazing how having your photo taken over and over again can actually make you start to appreciate what you've got. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate! It really is remarkable how taking photos has actually really helped, facing the fear I suppose!

      Delete
  4. Happy blog birthday. Thank you so much for sharing all you do, I so enjoy seeing what you have made and your wonderful photographs and writing. I am definitely looking forward to some more Utube videos/tutorials too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I can't wait to do more on YouTube, I just need to get my computer situation under control as my laptop often crashes whenever I edit video! Soon though :)

      Delete
  5. Truly beautiful, heartwarming and wonderfully relatable post, dear Bianca. I was nodding up a storm, especially when you talked about how your blog has helped you to become more comfortable not only in front of the camera, but with your own body (which is stunning, I should add). A lot of people don't realize this, even if they've been following my blog for a while now, but for the first (roughly) three years of its life, I still couldn't work up the courage to post snaps of myself there more than once in an utter blue moon. Fortunately that started to change as I got into the tail end of 20s and was doing a ton of work on improving my self-esteem and self-confidence and practicing meaningful self-love on a daily basis. The rest, as they say, is history, but of course there will always be vestiges of my former self and I know that if I wasn't immensely comfortable with my photographer (aka, Tony), things might be a whole 'nother story again (all the more reason why I am so grateful that he loves photography).

    It's been a sincere joy to watch your blog grow and flourish from its earliest days and to have, in the process, formed such a beautiful friendship with you. Thank you for sharing your bliss, your talent and your time with the world. All of our lives are enriched because of it.

    Huge hugs & happiest wishes for the next year of your blog's life!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica! <3 It took me about a year to really start doing outfit posts with any regularity so I totally know what you mean. I too have a really great relationship with my photographer as I enlisted my wonderful mom to help me from the start!

      You really have been with me since my blog really began and I feel so lucky to have made your acquaintance online and gained your friendship. I don't think The Closet Historian would be where it is now without your encouragement and help, and your own blog inspiring me all the while <3

      Delete
  6. Happy blog birthday and congratulations for producing such a wonderful blog for three years. I really enjoy your posts and love seeing what you are making and how you style your outfits so I'm pleased to hear that you plan to keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I definitely plan to keep going, I can't imagine my life without blogging now! Thank you for always being so encouraging and kindly leaving me comments, they brighten my day every time! <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...