Monday, March 14, 2016

Feathered Friend







That's the thing about a black suit jacket you know, you can wear it with everything. This time I paired it with a grey suit skirt I stole from my mom's closet long ago. The skirt is from the 1980's, but the jacket screams 1940's all the way down to its expertly constructed covered buttons.

I wore this amazing black felt tilted hat with my plaid suit a while back, but here it is transformed with a very full white ostrich feather. I am a big fan of ostrich feathers all around, probably because I am so used to wearing them in my hair for 18th century costuming! I built on the white in my hat by wearing my white gloves as well and unfortunately I don't have a grey scarf (I'll just have to find one!) currently so I'm wearing a pale sage green patterned one here to bring some of the mid tone of my skirt up to my neck. I am always working to improve my styling skill set, mostly on things like balance with colors and tones. Lastly I pinned on a favorite brooch of mine for some sparkle too, a girl cant go wrong with a bit of sparkle!

It has been oddly warm here lately, lulling me into a longing for spring fashions. I'm afraid as soon as I pull out a straw hat or pretty floral my world will be doused in sudden snowfall. Luckily I leave for California on Wednesday evening and can live out my spring fashion fantasies in the land of sun and palm trees. Is it perhaps time to say farewell to winter already? I don't mind, you see I have many a new straw hat to show you after hoarding them up all fall and winter...I'm just a magpie for straw!

Jacket, Brooch, Hat, Scarf: Vintage
Skirt: Vintage (from my lovely mom)
Tights: Hanes (Amazon)
Shoes: Modcloth
Gloves: Amazon
Earrings: Forever 21
Snood: Vivienne of Holloway

12 comments:

  1. Liking the shape of the blazer with the pleated skirt. The hat is lots of fun, I really like the ostrich feather. Have a fabulous time in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I just love ostrich feathers <3

      Delete
  2. Really lovely look! I think that brooch is so pretty. It has turned sunny here but bitterly cold, so I think Spring is a while off yet for us x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Porcelina! It has started snowing in Colorado again now :(

      Delete
  3. "A magpie for straw." That's fabulous! Being a magpie can be so fun can't it? You look fabulous in your black, white and gray! Love the ostrich feather in you hat as well! Can't wait to see you hoard of spring hats!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! I can't wait to break them out!

      Delete
  4. Seriously, completely elegant and just as pretty as the day is long. Grey + black for the win always and forever.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I need to pair the two more often :)

      Delete
  5. This hat is marvelous! And the cherry to an amazing ensemble!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, pleated skirts! So lovely, and one thing where I think that I really can't possibly sew that, so I admire from afar, and hope to be lucky to find my own one day! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the luck of stealing this one from the forgotten depths of my mom's closet ages ago! The 80's made some very good mid-century appropriate skirts so I try to look out of them at charity shops and thrift stores :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...