Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Sewing and Blogging Goals for 2016


Since I still keep writing December on everything, I suppose it's high time to sit down and make some new year goals to ease me into 2016! When I start to make plans for my upcoming sewing projects I take two things into consideration before anything else: 1)What fabric do I already have in my stash, and 2) What are the "holes" in my wardrobe?

Well I do have some nice wools in my stash, and that's why I'm about to jump into suiting projects. I also have the planned Outlander costume to work on, though since I have yet to finish the stomacher embroidery, it may be a longer project than first planned. I did such a good job of stash busting last year that I am well on course to have used up most of my stacks of fabric by the beginning of this summer. I have a few more cotton prints that will be destined to become spring/summer tops, but mostly I have a few lengths of wool and velvet waiting patiently to finally be turned into clothes. After my last velvet project though...it might be a while before I take on that plush pile fabric once again.

Sewing Goals 2016:

1) Learn tailoring techniques and make some suits

As you all know, I am about to tackle some suiting! I am just obsessed with the look of both 40's and 50's suits and since I can't find any vintage suits in my size, I'll just have to make my own!

2) Make at least 4 historical costumes

I was a bit disappointed in myself for not completing more historical costumes this past year. I completed a Victorian corset and bustle- but no dress to go with them! I hope to make not only a bustle dress, but a few 18th century projects as well!

3) Make more dresses

This may seem an odd goal, but because I focused on making separates last year, I have realized I don't have many dresses! It is a season specific issue, I have summer dresses, but no fall and winter appropriate dresses. I managed to make one wintry wool dress in November, but I would like more cold weather options.

4) Focus on the Forties

Though I have many vintage 1940's accessories, I don't have much 40's specific items of clothing. I have invested in some rather fancy but simple black rayon to make a simple but very 40's black day dress soon.

5) Knit 5 sweaters (more of a crafting goal I'll grant you)

Though I have rather stalled on my current knitting project, I really want to work on improving my knitting technique and speed this year. Since I still have a hard time finding vintage style sweaters, I really want to learn to make my own!


I have goals for blogging and The Closet Historian for 2016 too, though I never know how much the subject is of interest all of you. As I really enjoy blogging, I certainly set goals for myself as The Closet Historian grows. Blogging has become such an important part of my life over the past few years, and of course I want to improve and grow this blog as much as I can!

Blogging Goals 2016:

1) Update/Use Tumblr

I have long enjoyed spending time on Tumblr, but I am terrible about updating my own Tumblr blog! It is something I definitely want to work on in the coming year.

2) Start making YouTube videos

I really want to start doing vintage hair tutorials on YouTube this year, and possible some vlogs too! I have even already filmed a video...but haven't edited it at all. Now that I have a new computer that can handle video editing, I hope to start on YouTube soon!

3) Hit 15,000 views per month

I probably shouldn't care about the numbers, but in all honesty- of course I do. Over the past few years it has been wonderful to have my visitor count increasing. I work really hard on blogging, and I enjoy it, so it is nice to know that more and more people are stopping by. I would like to double my visitors by this time next year, its good to have big goals right?

4) Do at least 1 DIY a month

I always enjoy putting together DIY posts and sharing my crafting knowledge, especially hat making! I already have some hat tutorials planned for the year ahead :)

5) Write more informational and issue-based posts

When I say issue-based, I mean vaguely controversial-- like this post from July last year. Sometimes I have ideas for opinion posts and then never write them in fear that the topic may be a bit controversial or somehow political. I want to try and banish that fear in the year ahead. I also would love to do more informational posts, resurrecting my old Closet Histories series from its hiatus and doing more posts like May's 5 Essentials for a Vintage Inspired Wardrobe.

Do you guys like it when blogs talk about blogging? I never know if readers would like that kind of thing, but I love it when blogs share the behind the scenes bits! For those of you that have your own blogs, what is one of your blogging goals for the new year?

I made a list of more traditional resolutions too, but if you have been around here long you have probably noticed that I do more personal resolutions around my birthday in July. Does anyone else have sewing specific goals for the year ahead? I hope you are all having a great 2016 so far :)


6 comments:

  1. I have loads of sewing goals for 2016 but I won't go into them here as I have a post planned! :) Yours sound very interesting and productive and it's good to hear your blogging goals too. I don't think I'll ever end up doing videos as it's far too terrifying but well done you for wanting to do it. I look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate! I look forward to reading your post! I tend to be quite uncomfortable in front of the camera so we will see how it goes, it's something I really want to work on this year.

      Delete
  2. Very much so! Blogging is an integral part of my life (and career), too, so I always listen with rapt attention when bloggers that I follow (and adore!) speak about the subject.

    Wonderful goals, lovely lady. I wish you nothing but the best with all of them and eagerly look forward to seeing everything that you share here with us in 2016 (massively including if you create YouTube videos - I all but squealed aloud with happiness when I read that!).

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, I totally agree! I am very excited to make videos this year, including some travel vlogs now that I have some travels planned for later in the year ;)

      Delete
  3. I really like reading of people's plans for their blogs, I find it interesting to see where they want to go. Your plans sounds great. My blog goal this year is to post on a much more frequent basis, rather than just thinking about it! Your sewing and knitting plans sound fascinating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I feel the same way. Posting consistently took me a while to get used to, and this year I am actually cutting back just a bit and no longer posting on Tuesdays as I work in the beginning of the week and have less time. I dream of knitting as well as you do someday <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...