Thursday, July 16, 2015

Adventures in Khaki















Realizing that I had worn my khaki green pencil skirt A TON so far this summer, I decided to make a circle skirt in almost the same color fabric! I have so many "safari" shirts and blouses now that my closet was begging for another skirt to wear with all of them (*cough* begging you guys, begging *cough*). I actually bought the fabric for this skirt with some birthday money, so it's a birthday present in some ways. I am super happy with it! I love how the thickness and body of the twill help the skirt stick out and look full even without a petticoat.

In full safari inspired fashion, I paired the skirt with a classic khaki safari shirt from Banana Republic. The best thing about working at BR is when the things I want go on super sale- I get first dibs on them! I couldn't let this shirt go, it was too classic! I picked up the belt at work a little while ago too when it also went on super sale. I don't actually buy much from Banana Republic anymore, the new head designer is much more modern/hip than I care for. Every once and a while something classic will slip in with the sort-off new collection. I just finally gave in and bought a little silk blouse yesterday that is perfectly 50's looking, I'm sure I'll have photos of it soon!

I also wore my straw pith helmet and lace-up front boots from Amazon. I am still so happy with these boots, they were so inexpensive! I made the scarab brooch from a glass cabochon I found on etsy. I am always on the look out for Egyptian themed jewelry but sometimes it is easier to cobble something together from parts than find something finished in my price range. It's funny because in reality I am quite terrified of large bugs/insects/beetles ets. (or small bugs/insects/beetles etc....) I only like bugs or spiders if they are in jewelry form, in that case I tend to really like them!

Shirt: Banana Republic
Skirt: Made by me
Belt: Banana Republic
Hat: Amazon (here)
Boots: Amazon (here)
Pin and Earrings: Made by me

11 comments:

  1. That outfit is all sorts of perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was rather fun to wear :)

      Delete
  2. This is just such an incredible outfit - and location to shoot it in. Your passion for vintage lady explorer outfits is so inspiring. Someone should give you own travel show in which you dress in these kinds of looks and take us around the world to exciting vintage related locations. That would be so cool!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! This location is near my neighborhood and is just gorgeous all times of the year. I am lucky to live in Colorado as much of it is so beautiful! I would love (LOVE) to have just such a travel show as the one you described! It's a sorta dream of mine to have a program where I visit textile and fashion collections and share them- I hope to start it up small on YouTube one day, unless the BBC comes knocking!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, as always! The background and scenery compliment your outfit very well, and for a moment I was reminded of the female character from The Creature of the Black Lagoon, for some reason (can't remember if she wears safari/explorer-esque clothes, but she was very glamorous for somebody out in the jungle being chased by a monster). :)

    I love insect jewellery, too! And your brooch is perfect! I don't own any yet, but I do keep 'pet' rainbow stag beetles and larvae, so I'm rather fond of it. Recently I purchased a turquoise beetle embroidery kit from Liberties, so hopefully sometime I'll be able to transfer it on to a dress design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie! I have actually never seen the film, but I am happy you found this outfit called back to such a classic era of film!

      I admire the iridescence and beautiful colors of many insects/beetles, but I get seriously creeped out by them for some reason! It is my only major irrational fear, I have no problem with snakes or rats, but bugs make my skin crawl! My whole body goes "NOPE!" It's really cool that you have such a unique pet though, I have to admire such interesting creatures from afar. Somehow my fear doesn't extend to jewelry in the shape of insects luckily :)

      The embroidery kit sounds awesome, I miss wandering around Liberties! I am going to try and do some embroidery with elytra beetle wing casings sometime this fall/winter! (check out this pinterest board https://www.pinterest.com/AngelaMombers/1855-1895-beetle-wing-embroidered-fashion-victoria/)

      I hope your having a good weekend! Thanks for the great comments, it had been wonderful hearing from you this week!

      Delete
    2. That's okay! :) You're not missing out on too much for the film, as I find those vintage horror films more a comedy than a horror - and yet it's funny to hear from people that were terrified by those types of films when they first came out (my grandmother, for example). Indeed, the clothes and makeup in those films are what appeals to me, rather than the storyline and cheesy special effects. :D

      Insects can be very creepy, especially in their pupal stages when they look more like aliens than insects! I understand about irrational fears, as I'm rather squeamish around spiders and things that fly - even birds and butterflies! I'm okay looking at them, and could probably handle spiders if they weren't so dang fast, but I hate it when they fly around my face.

      It IS lucky that you can wear insect accessories, as otherwise you'd miss out on the 1920s Egyptian craze style! :) And wow, that beetle wing casings idea sounds brilliant - I'll look forward to seeing it sometime.

      Delete
  4. This! It is such a great look on you Bianca, and I am loving the boots with your circle skirt! I would wear the heck out of this outfit if I was on a safari... Perfect. ; ) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonita! I hesitated before slipping on my boots, thinking "would that be too much?" but I'm glad I went for it! All safari, all the time!

      Delete
  5. I adore this outfit and the set of photos. You have totally nailed lady explorer chic. I really like the circle skirt addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I am still in love with the lady explorer look! I need to figure out how to carry it into fall now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...