Thursday, April 2, 2015

How Austrian's Say Goodbye...






Earlier this week I debuted my new olive green pencil skirt here on the blog, and today I wore the matching vest! I made this matching cotton twill vest to have a sort of safari inspired suit when the two pieces are worn together. Instead of wearing the "suit" (if you will), I wore the green vest with a black pencil skirt instead.

I used McCall's M7056 Archive collection vest pattern, though I left off the collar. This pattern went together easily enough but I am actually not the biggest fan of the results. I feel like the the shoulder area is too long/big on me, making the bust area look a bit low (never desirable!). I probably should have made the C cup size not the D, as I forget how much extra ease is built into commercial patterns.

I don't wear this blouse very often as it does sort of make me feel like a billowy marshmallow, but it was fine with the vest over it. The bow is just so large! I do love the sleeves though, I need more sleeves like this in my wardrobe! The vintage brooch is a relatively new addition, I got it for a total steal because the pin back is actually broken. It stayed on just fine today dispute the damage, and I can't wait to wear it again with the matching earrings! These shoes are new too, I wanted a cognac colored pair for pairing with lighter summer suits this year.

Sadly our weather turned cold again today, hopefully spring returns soon!


Skirt: Made by me
Vest: Made by me
Blouse: random mail catalog
Brooch: Vintage (etsy)
Earrings: Made by me
Tights: Berkshire
Shoes: Nine West (via Amazon)

8 comments:

  1. How exquisitely lovely! I'm a huge (!!!) fan of fitted vests, especially those that are vintage or look the part. I have a 50s plaid one that is amongst the first pieces I reach for each fall, but which I'm certainly not opposed to wearing during the other seasons, too (it's colour palette of primarily red and green just suits autumn and Christmas especially well).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I have never been a particular fan of vests, including this one even, but I am glad you approve!

      Delete
  2. It looks great, looking forward to seeing it all as the safari outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I will be all about the safari look as soon as it gets a bit warmer!

      Delete
  3. I love, love, LOVE this outfit! And your title is perfection.

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything you said about the shirt is true. It's big and fluffy, and yes, it has a big bow. I know how wearing a loose shirt and being large-busted makes your entire body seem as though it is the width of your bust. The shirt might not be an amazing thing on its own (that's more because of the style; nothing to do with your craftsmanship,) but under that vest it looks fantastic. The poofy sleeves and bow look luxurious, not oversized. Overall, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janis! I actually didn't make this blouse, it's one of the few items in my closet not made by me! I hope to figure out a more flattering bow blouse pattern in order to make some myself for fall :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...