Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Colorful Wax Print Cotton Dress







Here is the other dress I finished making last week! I had a six yard length of this Dutch/African wax print fabric that I bought while studying in London. I remember admiring the different wax print patterns every time I went into the fabric shop down the road from my student housing. One day I finally gave in and chose one to bring home with me to the US. The fabric had been folded waiting to become a dress for years until last week when I finally pulled it out and got to work. I really love the result! With the full circle skirt, it is quite a fun dress to wear!

I was turning heads today while I was out (fabric shopping...) and several people asked me about the fabric. African wax prints like this one, which is actually a Dutch copy/version, are always full of beautiful colors. I'll talk about this type of fabric a bit more tomorrow in a dedicated post!

Dress: Made by me
Shoes: Modcloth
Earrings: Vintage (etsy)
Sunglasses: Forever21
Necklace: I can't remember!

8 comments:

  1. My word, this is gorgeous! I love the vibrancy of this pattern and how sublimely well it works in a mid-century setting. Swoon!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that style of dress, the fabric is perfect for it. Beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! It is actaully a pretty simple dres to make, if fabric wasn't so expensive I would make a lot more of them!

      Delete
  3. It looks so gorgeous on you! and I love that style of dress. Was it a pattern or self drafted ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie! It was indeed self drafted, the top is a kimono sleeve style bodice and the skirt is a full circle skirt.

      Delete
  4. Bianca! Your work is beautiful! I too have a stash of ankara print waiting to be sewn up and I wanted to do a full circle skirt but I'm stuck on how to go about it with the 48'' width. How did you set out to do your pattern? I'm perfectly fine with your length of dress but I can't seem to figure out how to fit everything on such a small margin of space....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ama! The piece of fabric I bought was 1 large piece 5 yards long and quite wide so I was easily able to accommodate a circle skirt by folding the fabric out selvage to selvage. Depending on how many yards you have you should be able to do this with your 48" wide fabric as a skirt like the one I've made above is only 26" long if you have 4+ yards of fabric. Circle skirts do require a lot of fabric but they are so worth it in the end!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...