Sunday, April 6, 2014

Botanical Gardens Sojourn


Sorry to have been so MIA this week, I am still getting used to a new working schedule, which is sadly different every week making it hard to plan ahead! Today I accompanied my parents to the Denver Botanical Gardens to renew our membership and check out the before to this coming spring's after. Though the flower beds outside were still waiting to be tended to, the tropical conservatory was (as ever) in full bloom. I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to capture photos of a recent sewing project, a brocade sheath dress I finished last month.









I have to admit, photos of myself are still a challenge to post. I long to do outfit posts more often but my sometimes less than positive body image issues tend to creep up when I try and choose photos to share. I have come such a long way in accepting that this hourglass is what I'v got and learning to love myself despite the imperfections I see, but it can still be a struggle.  In any case, this dress isn't a complete success in the patterning/sewing department anyway. The straps are too wide set meaning they fall off my shoulders and display the very red lining of this dress, which doesn't match at all! There are a half dozen tweaks to make this pattern better for the next version. I also tend to favor a sleeve because one of my insecurities happens to be my upper arms, I must find Michelle Obama's arm workout routine!

also featuring my lovely injured finger!





Anyways...I hope to get my routine back together soon, but am still waiting to hear back about internship opportunities that could stir up my schedule again! I have sewing projects to start as soon as the darn cut on my finger reaches a point where I can bend it again, ouch! So you will hear from me again soon :)

5 comments:

  1. I think yourself, the bare arms, the lining, the straps, all look incredibly beautiful and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos of the botanical gardens are beautiful, and you look great in that dress. I love the fabric and cut. I wish I could sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much, I forget how amazing and kind the costuming and vintage communities are, I shouldn't worry so much! And Debra you should sew if you'd like to! I was mostly self taught before I went to school for apparel, and though sometimes frustrating it can be really rewarding too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet dear, trust me, as someone who has battled issues relating to self-esteem, self-confidence and how I view myself, we are always our own harshest critic. You are gorgeous, teaming with enviable curves, have style all but oozing from your pores, and cut an endlessly elegant figure in everything you wear in the photos you post here. Embrace and love your body as it now, tomorrow, and always - it's the only one you'll ever have and that is worth celebrating with photos.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica, you are too kind! As I said above, I have come a long way in this regard from where I was just a few years ago. Live and in color I have no problem anymore but photos are still a bit of a battle, one day if they invent a camera that doesn't add ten pounds I will be a happy girl!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...